BootsnAll Travel Network



Freo pt I’m ba-ack!

So after we arrived in Perth, I went with my new friend Jen (also on the tour) to her beachside hostel somewhere between Perth and Fremantle.  I didn’t have a reservation, but I was confident I’d get a bed.  Jen already had reservations.  After doing some real backpacking-walking the wrong way, getting directions from about 8 different Aussies, and walking up and down some steep hills, we saw the ocean and arrived at the hostel.  The hostel had nothing for me!  I bucked up, found phone numbers for hostels in Freo, which was where we were going drinking anyway and got a bed at the first hostel I booked!  I showered at Jen’s hostel and we headed out to Freo.

When we arrived in Freo, I was surprised (or not) how excited I was that I was back in Fremantle, and for 5 more days!  I won’t be surprised if I never see Perth.  When I got to my new hostel (not the bedbug one) I learned that I was booked in the ‘Stairway to Heaven”-which is a bunkbed in the foyer of the back door to the girls dorm under the stairs.  Hmm.  It’s called the emergency bed.  Great.  But it’s cozy and there’s a window and I get a real room after 2 nights.  And it is cheaper than the real room.

Jen and I were the only ones from the tour to make it out besides the tour guides.  We had a few beers and closed the bar at midnight and headed back to the train station.  En route we encountered a man who had set up a full drum set playing and singing.  There were tons of people dancing on the sidewalk.  This is why I love Freo.

I woke up today, Jan 31, very happy to be in Freo.  I went to the markets and treated myself to a two dollar avacado and walked around, enjoying the town again.  I headed back to Jen’s hostel and we laid on the beach for 4 or 5 hours.  The waves were cool here too, but nothing like last week’s.  After I started sleeping and feeling crispy, I left for Freo to do laundry and sleep.  The sun sure gets to you out here!



Tags:

One response to “Freo pt I’m ba-ack!”

  1. Gramma says:

    Hi Laura, you sure are keeping me amazed at all you are doing. I am sure you have heard by now you have a new second cousin. I am going to see him on wednesday for the first time. Your dad was here on sunday and I was comparing what he was doing to your adventure–folding towels and bringing up the laundry from the basement. you have been on that route yourself. will be looking forward to more news from you. take care love,gramma

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *