BootsnAll Travel Network



Where am I?!

Last night Jim went to the Body Works exhibit and I stayed at the hostel to read up on Bangkok, since I haven’t read a page of the guidebook yet and it was freaking me out. After he left I fell asleep on the book and didn’t wake up until he was pounding on the door, 2 hours later.

So we got on our flight to Bangkok today and I am flipping out because I know nothing and have read nothing. The two hour flight was me cramming on the guidebook. We touch down and go thru customs and all and I feel totally clueless because we have hardly anything planned. I got about 10 maps from the tourist center and the lady told us a taxi was the best way to get to the hotel we wanted. So Jim calls the hotel on a pay phone and tells them we are coming. I totally didn’t want to take a cab since they always try to rip you off and are totally shady. We told the guy where we wanted to go and he didn’t seem to understand. As he drove us there, I felt so immobile because this city doesn’t have a subway, and I don’t know how to find out the bus schedules or other ways to get around. How do you get around?? And I don’t even know what we want to do here!

Finally the guy stops and we get out and there are the two of us, standing in the middle of a street in Bangkok, clueless, no idea where the hotel is. It was surreal, completely foreign and overwhelming. It was like being slapped in the face with Bangkok. I was worried but it didn’t take us long to realize we were on a SUPER touristy road lined with internet cafes and hotels. A guy told us we weren’t anywhere near the hotel we wanted. So we went to a few hotels and finally agreed to one that was 600 baht, or about $15 US total. It even has its own shower and toilet and AC and the sink is outside on this neat little terrace with a nice view of decrepit houses. The funny thing is, 600 baht was way more than the other hotels. One was 200 baht. We figure, why not go for luxury and get the room that is $15 instead of $10. Ha ha.

We chilled in there a while and I figured out where we were on the map. That’s when we came outside and to this internet cafe. I already got two mosquito bites. Hope I don’t get malaria. Note to self: wear bug spray next time; buy calamine.

So I’m a little more calm about Bangkok but still bewildered about how we will get around.
———————

Ok- the guy at the pay phone in Singapore. I was making a call and this little old dude with a white cap (the Muslim ones, don’t know what they are called) comes up to Jim and starts talking to him, and of course I think, oh man, what is this guy trying to sell us (because people only approach you when they are trying to get something from you). But he asked where we were from and shook our hands and just seemed to be curious. Isn’t it sad how you automatically assume the worst about people? But you can’t blame us since people ARE always trying to sell you something. It wasn’t bad in Singapore but it is here in Bangkok. I hate that. But anyway, the guy shook my hand and pointed one finger and said, “Oh, you are thin! You need to eat” or something like that. And we laughed and as we started to walk away, he puffed out his arms and said, “And he is fat!” Ha ha, it was funny. Guess you had to be there.

Even though I have 15 mins left, Jim is getting impatient. I think I am gonna have to hold him back from buying food on the street. It really does look and smell great! (and costs pennies!)

By the way, I got my credit cards from the embassy so all is well.



Tags:

Comments are closed.