BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,355 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. Lianaeokar says:

    Знакомьтесь с эксклюзивное предложение от БК Лига Ставок – фрибет для новых игроков! Это фрибет позволяет вам испытать удачу без риска потери собственных средств, открывая широкие возможности для получения призов с первых же шагов в мире ставок. Лига ставок фрибет условия новым пользователям после регистрации! С фрибетом от БК Лига Ставок, вы получаете шанс ознакомиться с платформой без каких-либо финансовых обязательств. Это отличный способ начать для тех, кто хочет погрузиться в мир ставок с минимальными рисками. Не упускайте свой шанс и начните своё приключение в БК Лига Ставок с нашим фрибетом. Заберите свой фрибет сейчас же и откройте для себя мир ставок без рисков!

  2. Nellyxptfj says:

    Рады сообщить о выпуске эксклюзивного промокода для БК Лига Ставок! Этот специальный промокод предоставляет доступ к эксклюзивным привилегиям и усиливает ваш опыт ставок, делая его более прибыльным и захватывающим. Промо код лига ставок для всех новых пользователей! С данным промокодом, игроки получают непосредственный доступ к бонусным средствам, привилегиям при регистрации и специальным предложениям. Не упустите шанс стать частью элитного клуба пользователей БК Лига Ставок и увеличьте свои шансы на успех с нашим промокодом. Активируйте промокод уже сегодня и начните выигрывать еще до первой ставки!

  3. Nellymdtsq says:

    Рады сообщить о выпуске эксклюзивного промокода для БК Лига Ставок! Этот специальный промокод открывает доступ к особым бонусам и повышает ваш игровой процесс, делая его более прибыльным и захватывающим. Бонус код лига ставок после ввода кода! С данным промокодом, игроки получают непосредственный доступ к дополнительным бонусам на ставки, ускоренной процедуре регистрации и эксклюзивным акциям. Воспользуйтесь этой возможностью стать частью привилегированной группы пользователей БК Лига Ставок и увеличьте свои шансы на успех с нашим промокодом. Используйте код уже сегодня и начните выигрывать еще до первой ставки!

  4. ScottIders says:

    로드스탁과의 레버리지 방식의 스탁: 투자의 참신한 분야

    로드스탁에서 공급하는 레버리지 스탁은 주식 시장의 투자법의 한 방법으로, 상당한 수익률을 목표로 하는 투자자들에게 유혹적인 옵션입니다. 레버리지 사용을 사용하는 이 전략은 투자하는 사람들이 자신의 자금을 넘어서는 금액을 투입할 수 있도록 함으로써, 증권 시장에서 훨씬 큰 영향력을 행사할 수 있는 기회를 공급합니다.

    레버리지 스탁의 원리
    레버리지 방식의 스탁은 기본적으로 투자금을 빌려 투자하는 방법입니다. 사례를 들어, 100만 원의 자본으로 1,000만 원 상당의 증권을 사들일 수 있는데, 이는 투자자가 기본적인 투자 금액보다 훨씬 더 많은 증권을 구매하여, 증권 가격이 올라갈 경우 해당하는 더 큰 이익을 획득할 수 있게 됩니다. 그렇지만, 주식 값이 하락할 경우에는 그 손실 또한 크게 될 수 있으므로, 레버리지를 이용할 때는 조심해야 합니다.

    투자 계획과 레버리지
    레버리지 사용은 특히 성장 잠재력이 상당한 사업체에 투입할 때 도움이 됩니다. 이러한 사업체에 상당한 비율로 적용하면, 잘 될 경우 막대한 이익을 가져올 수 있지만, 반대 경우의 경우 큰 위험도 짊어져야 합니다. 그렇기 때문에, 투자하는 사람은 자신의 리스크 관리 능력과 장터 분석을 통해 통해, 어떤 사업체에 얼마만큼의 투자금을 투자할지 선택해야 합니다.

    레버리지의 이점과 위험 요소
    레버리지 스탁은 큰 수익을 보장하지만, 그만큼 상당한 위험도 따릅니다. 주식 거래의 변화는 예측이 어렵기 때문에, 레버리지 사용을 사용할 때는 언제나 상장 추세를 정밀하게 주시하고, 피해를 최소화할 수 있는 계획을 구성해야 합니다.

    결론: 신중한 고르기가 요구됩니다
    로드스탁에서 제공하는 레버리지 방식의 스탁은 막강한 투자 수단이며, 잘 사용하면 큰 수익을 벌어들일 수 있습니다. 그러나 높은 리스크도 신경 써야 하며, 투자 선택은 충분히 많은 정보와 신중한 생각 후에 실시되어야 합니다. 투자자 본인의 재정 상황, 위험을 감수하는 능력, 그리고 시장의 상황을 반영한 조화로운 투자 전략이 핵심입니다.

  5. ScottIders says:

    Nihai Dönemin En Popüler Casino Sitesi: Casibom

    Kumarhane oyunlarını sevenlerin artık duymuş olduğu Casibom, son dönemde adından çoğunlukla söz ettiren bir bahis ve oyun web sitesi haline geldi. Ülkemizin en başarılı kumarhane platformlardan biri olarak tanınan Casibom’un haftalık olarak değişen giriş adresi, piyasada oldukça yenilikçi olmasına rağmen güvenilir ve kar getiren bir platform olarak tanınıyor.

    Casibom, yakın rekabeti olanları geride bırakarak köklü kumarhane sitelerinin geride bırakmayı başarılı oluyor. Bu sektörde köklü olmak önemli olsa da, oyuncularla etkileşimde olmak ve onlara ulaşmak da aynı kadar önemli. Bu durumda, Casibom’un her saat hizmet veren canlı olarak destek ekibi ile kolayca iletişime geçilebilir olması büyük önem taşıyan bir artı sağlıyor.

    Hızla artan katılımcı kitlesi ile dikkat çeken Casibom’un arka planında başarı faktörleri arasında, sadece kumarhane ve gerçek zamanlı casino oyunları ile sınırlı olmayan geniş bir servis yelpazesi bulunuyor. Sporcular bahislerinde sunduğu geniş seçenekler ve yüksek oranlar, oyuncuları çekmeyi başarılı oluyor.

    Ayrıca, hem sporcular bahisleri hem de kumarhane oyunlar oyuncularına yönlendirilen sunulan yüksek yüzdeli avantajlı promosyonlar da dikkat çekiyor. Bu nedenle, Casibom hızla sektörde iyi bir pazarlama başarısı elde ediyor ve önemli bir oyuncu kitlesi kazanıyor.

    Casibom’un kazanç sağlayan promosyonları ve tanınırlığı ile birlikte, siteye abonelik ne şekilde sağlanır sorusuna da atıfta bulunmak elzemdir. Casibom’a taşınabilir cihazlarınızdan, bilgisayarlarınızdan veya tabletlerinizden tarayıcı üzerinden kolayca ulaşılabilir. Ayrıca, platformun mobil uyumlu olması da önemli bir artı sunuyor, çünkü artık hemen hemen herkesin bir akıllı telefonu var ve bu telefonlar üzerinden hızlıca erişim sağlanabiliyor.

    Hareketli cep telefonlarınızla bile yolda canlı olarak iddialar alabilir ve müsabakaları canlı olarak izleyebilirsiniz. Ayrıca, Casibom’un mobil uyumlu olması, memleketimizde kumarhane ve casino gibi yerlerin meşru olarak kapatılmasıyla birlikte bu tür platformlara girişin önemli bir yolunu oluşturuyor.

    Casibom’un itimat edilir bir casino platformu olması da önemlidir bir fayda sunuyor. Ruhsatlı bir platform olan Casibom, sürekli bir şekilde eğlence ve kar sağlama imkanı sunar.

    Casibom’a üye olmak da son derece kolaydır. Herhangi bir belge şartı olmadan ve bedel ödemeden web sitesine kolayca abone olabilirsiniz. Ayrıca, web sitesi üzerinde para yatırma ve çekme işlemleri için de birçok farklı yöntem mevcuttur ve herhangi bir kesim ücreti isteseniz de alınmaz.

    Ancak, Casibom’un güncel giriş adresini takip etmek de elzemdir. Çünkü canlı bahis ve casino web siteleri moda olduğu için hileli platformlar ve dolandırıcılar da belirmektedir. Bu nedenle, Casibom’un sosyal medya hesaplarını ve güncel giriş adresini düzenli olarak kontrol etmek önemlidir.

    Sonuç olarak, Casibom hem itimat edilir hem de kazandıran bir casino web sitesi olarak dikkat çekici. Yüksek promosyonları, geniş oyun seçenekleri ve kullanıcı dostu mobil uygulaması ile Casibom, casino sevenler için ideal bir platform sunuyor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *