BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,407 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. 카지노사이트

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  2. Welcomе to Hemp Life Ⅿag! Ouг publication was established bby a team
    of different like-minded individuals ᴡһo ɑre connected
    by а common enthusiasm for health and well-being.

    Hemp Life Publication іs dedicated tο delivering you thе
    most popular ɑnd trending health and wellness
    tutorials, tips аnd secrets, product testimonials
    аnd news. At Hemp Life Magazine, wе ɑre strojg advocates foor tһe numerous benefits of CBD and hemp gooɗs and stropngly bеlieve tһat they can certainly benefit basically аny person: еvеn yоu!

    Thus, wе like too takе a hemp and CBD driven angle tο prominent leisure activities аnd
    endeavors аnd ѕһow how CBD Can I buy CBD where I live? make everythng even better:
    fгom cooking recioes to meditation аnd lovemaking!
    Αt Hemp Life Ꮇag, youu wiⅼl find tonnes of giveaways varying fгom free audio tracks meditation talks, cooking recipes ɑnd cook books to fitness
    training video clips аll produced ԝith love and passion ƅy our outstanding team!

    Our team of CBD aficionados ɑre incessantly evaluating brand new hempp аnd CBD bran names to brіng you objectkve and independent reviews аnd judgements.

    We are consistently tгying to fіnd individuals who shar ouur fascination f᧐r health аnd wellness and constantly ѡelcome fresh
    writers ԝith ftesh viewpoints.

    Ԝe hope that yyou will fіnd oour publication սseful!

    Stay hаppy!

  3. 먹튀검증 says:

    Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and for my part suggest
    to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

    my web blog – 먹튀검증

  4. bra kost says:

    It’s awesome to go to see this web page and reading the views of
    all friends about this post, while I am also zealous of
    getting experience.

  5. Great post. I will be facing some of these
    issues as well..

  6. Nevertheless adoption is by far the largest and most obvious issue
    is the world’s biggest cryptocurrency exchange. Additionally a variety of fraudulent actions as a a lot
    discussed but not to this point. Cryptocurrency and the
    associated permitted activities for regulated banks and financial sectors and its potential significance.
    Incomes potential 50 to 800 to 1,100. Cryptocurrency
    wallet for escrow and with very little fanfare you construct an information heart attacking the
    network. Tradestation’s app has the world seen a begin-up currency so vigilant
    community server. Largest good thing about Bitcoin by checking
    and supporting the community without performing all. Warning Bitcoin is infamous for launching Ripple taken and made it potential
    to hint. Cloud could also be in the modern markets and contribute to the Bitcoin block reward.
    Due to this fact the rise of the fiat system not a rocket science however the recovery could
    also be limited. It’s just an accounting system nothing else
    and are belief-less in nature. This firm has also grown dramatically
    and because this cash switch system is. National government equipped with ample resources to verify the switch of cash in society.

    Launched by the government will want a proof-of-work in different to make a number
    of sources of worth formation. Typically it its totally different
    websites will execute numerous transactions per day so.

  7. webpage says:

    Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme off this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance.

    I must say thaat you’ve done a awesome job with this.

    Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Internet explorer.

    Exceptional Blog!
    Soma kuhusu betting tabia mbaya kwa uchaguzi wa rais katika Afrika webpage
    biathlon bets

  8. nexea venture capital

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  9. My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.

    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on various
    websites for about a year and am nervous about switching
    to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net.

    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress
    posts into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

  10. Kitoko prod says:

    Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it
    from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks
    would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know
    where you got your theme. Thank you

  11. Wow! At last I got a web site from where I be
    capable of genuinely obtain helpful data concerning my study and
    knowledge.

    my webpage: 먹튀사이트

  12. review fundrise

    blog topic

  13. Adela says:

    Having read this I thought it was very informative.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this information together.
    I once again find myself spending a lot of time
    both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

  14. sen tam cay says:

    Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I get
    in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and
    even I success you get admission to persistently quickly.

  15. hi!,I love your writing very so much! share we be in contact extra approximately your post
    on AOL? I require a specialist in this house to unravel my problem.
    May be that is you! Looking forward to peer you.

  16. Great info and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to hire some professional writers?

    Thank you 🙂

  17. Suzanne says:

    With havin so much written content do you ever run into any
    problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?

    My site has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but
    it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any methods to help
    stop content from being ripped off? I’d truly appreciate
    it.

  18. I like the efforts you have put in this, regards for all
    the great articles.

  19. I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, thank you for all the great content.

  20. ukads.net says:

    I would like to show my admiration for your kind-heartedness supporting
    men and women that should have help on this particular idea.
    Your real commitment to getting the message around appears
    to be unbelievably interesting and have continually permitted people just
    like me to get to their dreams. This informative suggestions denotes a great deal to me and somewhat more to my office colleagues.
    Regards; from all of us.

  21. Just wanna comment that you have a very decent internet site, I like the style it actually stands out.

  22. IO oyunları says:

    Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a
    new project in a community in the same niche. Your
    blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!

  23. Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one!

    It’s on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of
    colors!

  24. Great info and straight to the point. I am not sure if
    this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have
    any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers?

    Thanks 🙂

  25. When someone writes an post he/she maintains the plan of a user in his/her
    mind that how a user can know it. Thus that’s
    why this post is amazing. Thanks!

  26. Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but
    I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha
    plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours
    and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

  27. Iwas pondering if anyone at bootsnall.ⅽom can recommend tһe most reliable INTERNET MARKETING
    company monthly seo service for hemp and cbd shops custom Ь2b
    dataase fresh b2b leads scraped especially for you.

  28. I love the efforts you have put in this, thank you for
    all the great blog posts.

  29. Stephaine says:

    Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having
    difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

  30. kant en klare gordijnen

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  31. I constantly emailed this website post page to all my
    friends, for the reason that if like to read it after that my contacts will too.

  32. Hello I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Aol for something
    else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a
    marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have
    time to go through it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your
    RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back
    to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

  33. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog’s posts everyday along with a cup of coffee.

  34. Hey I am so grateful I found your blog page, I really found you by accident, while I was researching
    on Google for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a
    all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic
    work.

  35. I have to convey my appreciation for your kind-heartedness giving
    support to individuals that have the need for help with this one niche.
    Your real commitment to passing the message all over became really insightful and
    has really allowed those much like me to achieve their objectives.
    Your new interesting help and advice entails a great deal a person like me
    and especially to my mates. Best wishes; from each one of us.

  36. Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog
    website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit
    acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

  37. Cοuld somone recommend a Shea Butter besauty products manufacturer?
    Τhanks x

  38. I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Well written!

  39. KQXSHN says:

    Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a
    appropriate deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright transparent idea

  40. XSQN says:

    XSQN

    blog topic

  41. XO SO HA NOI says:

    There is obviously a bundle to realize about this. I believe you made some good points in features also.

  42. Hey there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?

    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time choosing
    between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely
    unique. P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

    Here is my site; fx마진거래

  43. Ernest says:

    I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.

    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you
    wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as
    exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

  44. Excellent post. I absolutely appreciate this website.
    Continue the good work!

  45. More Bonuses says:

    More Bonuses

    blog topic

  46. tinycat99 says:

    Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I
    was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have
    to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I
    wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
    Any help would be enormously appreciated!

  47. Very nice write-up. I absolutely appreciate this website.
    Keep writing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *