BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,543 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. Just wanna comment that you have a very nice website,
    I love the design and style it actually stands out.

  2. Hi there I am so delighted I found your weblog, I really found you
    by accident, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a
    all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the
    awesome job.

  3. hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here.
    I did however expertise several technical points using this site, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I
    could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your quality score if
    ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for
    much more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update
    this again soon.

  4. I pay a quick visit each day a few websites
    and information sites to read articles or reviews, except this web site
    provides quality based writing.

  5. imho-dmv.com says:

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i got here to
    ?return the desire?.I’m trying to find issues to enhance my web
    site!I suppose its ok to make use of some of your ideas!!

  6. lunchtime results (80%)

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  7. I do not even know how I stopped up here, however I thought this post was once great.

    I do not realize who you are however certainly you’re going
    to a well-known blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers! http://freeadvertising.freeglobalclassifiedads.com/user/profile/21461

  8. Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Many thanks
    for supplying these details.

  9. I am buying ѕome saucy Chriatmas gifts fοr my partner and wanted to knoѡ whether
    anyоne has any experience with Peaches and Screaams UK boutique?
    Ι totally love theіr Black Brocade Corset ɑnd Skirt Ⴝet Thanks in advance
    :Ꭰ

    My site: 6 75 inch power stud 3 speed realistic penis dildo vibrator

  10. SXVL says:

    Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what a data! present here at this website, thanks
    admin of this site.

  11. SXVL says:

    I like this internet site because so much utile material on here :D.

  12. Great – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your site.
    I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended
    up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least.
    Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything,
    site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate.
    Excellent task.

  13. Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person’s blog link on your
    page at suitable place and other person will also do similar
    in support of you.

  14. CoulԀ somonhe recommend а Glucosamine Sulfate beautty products wholesaler?

    Thawnk уou xx

  15. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It’s a
    very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and
    visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Superb work!

    Also visit my web blog; 먹튀검증사이트 (¸ÔƢ°ËÁő)

  16. Once the free provide us with a solution to make sure the continued perception. Now they gained’t discover thought-about proper within the palm readings
    she is spot on and the way. This includes letters telephone textual content
    you your traits or your future right now. Take pleasure in your expertise with
    an authentic phone psychic readings service is
    true and when. Some free psychic hasn’t supplied you don’t waste treasured
    time made a beautiful. Don’t overlook to my persona how I’d learn a card with steerage
    for on the time. Ignorance could also be affected by
    an absence of steerage for another person there are
    some psychic readings. Aura readings contain the observation and an empathic
    psychic who will make it easier to gain clarity on. Some dream interpreters use specific which suggests the readings are monitored by a psychic medium
    studying free. Whereas a psychic medium studying is the
    last word ascendant of the entity to.

  17. Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read
    this post i thought i could also create comment due to this brilliant article.

  18. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the
    rest of the website is extremely good.

  19. Highly energetic article, I loved that bit. Will there
    be a part 2?

  20. Awsome post and straight to the point. I don’t know
    if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you
    folks have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers?
    Thanks 🙂

  21. I have to show my passion for your kind-heartedness
    for men and women who absolutely need help on in this area of interest.
    Your personal commitment to getting the message all over appeared to be particularly effective and have truly made ladies like me
    to attain their objectives. Your informative suggestions can mean a lot a person like me and extremely more to my mates.
    Thanks a ton; from everyone of us.

  22. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author.

    I will remember to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back from now on.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great job, have a nice day!

  23. Awesome blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you advise starting with a free platform
    like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there
    that I’m completely confused .. Any ideas? Thank
    you!

  24. Родина says:

    Смотреть онлайн фильм Родина смотреть в хорошем качестве онлайн
    вы можете посмотреть все премьеры фильмов

  25. I do consider all the ideas you have introduced on your post.
    They’re very convincing and can certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts
    are too short for beginners. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time?
    Thanks for the post.

  26. Hi! I’ve been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic
    work!

  27. 먹튀검증 says:

    Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is excellent, as well as the content!

    Look into my site :: 먹튀검증

  28. click here for more info

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  29. web page says:

    Good day! This is myy first visit to your blog! We are a collection off volunteers aand starting a new initiative
    in a comjmunity in the same niche. Your blog providewd us valuable information to work
    on. You have done a marvellous job!
    Chapisha kuhusu ofisi za betting web page michezo yya ku-betting Africa

  30. MTT says:

    Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite
    reason appeared to be on the internet the easiest thing to
    be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects
    , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.

    Thanks

  31. oem software says:

    Thanks for every other fantastic post. The place else may anybody
    get that kind of information in such an ideal manner of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search
    for such information.

  32. Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site so i came to return the want?.I’m attempting to find issues to enhance
    my web site!I assume its good enough to use some of your ideas!!

  33. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m
    impressed! Very helpful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such information a lot.
    I was seeking this particular info for a very long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

  34. fantastic post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t understand this.
    You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you have a great readers’
    base already!

  35. Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit
    further. Thanks!

  36. contractor license classes in Los Angeles

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  37. https://vespascooters.logze.nl/

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  38. Your style is very unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from.
    Thanks for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will
    just bookmark this site.

  39. With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism
    or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either written myself
    or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the
    web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being ripped off?
    I’d really appreciate it.

  40. hey there and thank you for your info – I have certainly
    picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using
    this site, since I experienced to reload the website
    many times previous to I could get it to load correctly.

    I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your
    placement in google and can damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.

    Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing
    content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

  41. It’s an remarkable piece of writing in support of all the internet users;
    they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

  42. Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological
    world all is accessible on web?

  43. Why people still use to read news papers when in this technological world everything is presented
    on web?

  44. Great weblog right here! Also your site lots up fast!
    What host are you the use of? Can I get your affiliate
    link in your host? I desire my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

  45. click here says:

    This article gives clear idea designed for the
    new viewers of blogging, that really how to do running
    a blog.

  46. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am experiencing difficulties with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I cannot subscribe to it.
    Is there anyone else having the same RSS issues?

    Anyone who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

    Also visit my web site 구글상위노출

  47. Wow! Finally I got a web site from where I be able to
    actually take useful facts concerning my study and knowledge.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *