BootsnAll Travel Network



The Garden City of Lights

CURRENT LOCATION: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I think I have found the city that will try and crack my top 2 favorites in the world. New York City and New Orleans. I had pretty high expectations for this city and so far a full day into my stay here and I those expections have been reached. I am a sucker for tall buildings and impressive skylines. While the skyline itself doesn’t touch New York City its Petronas Towers and KL Tower give it a unique experience. From 1997 to 2003 they were the world’s tallest towers. Today they are still ranked in the top 3.

Ok enough of the history lesson. I can now check off another one of my ‘things to do before I die’. I was like a little kid on the bus ride into the city. I had the entire back row to myself and I kept jumping from left window to the right window in order to catch my first glimpse of the towers. The first thing I did after I dropped my bags off in my room was head out in search of KL Tower (4th highest communications tower in the world). I walked about 3 blocks up the road and the street was coned off and there was security standing around with a crowd of onlookers. I wasn’t sure what it was at first and usually large crowds and security could mean some sort of political gathering and that isn’t something I wanted to get involved in. I asked around and was briefed on the situation. I was standing in the location of the final lap of Tour de Langkawi. I’ve never heard of it either but it is a pretty big international cycling race. Within in minutes the sirens sounded and police motorcycle escorts turned the corner and the pack of racers came.

After the spectacle ended I headed towards KL Tower. I didn’t really ask around for what was the best approach to getting there and I had a map so I figured I would give it a go. I ended up on the back end of Bukit Nanas Hill, which is the hill that KL Tower sits on. I went through the back of a restaurant where a jungle trail started and headed up the steps. It took me about 20 minutes to reach the base of the tower. The entire time I was wondering why I was the only one here. I soon found out that there was another route up by free shuttle on the other side of the hill that was actually closer to where I started. Oh well, the trail was nice.

The great thing about Kuala Lumpur is how green it is. There are several forest reserves within the city limits itself so amongst all the tall skyscrapers and bustling city you have lush green forest and pretty sizable ones at that. The hill itself is home to several monkey species although I didn’t see any myself.

Once inside the tower and after paying $5 I was whisked to the top and armed with an mp4 player that gave a great presentation of each view that you get from the top. KL Tower is THE place to go for a panoramic view of Kuala Lumpur. Petronas Towers are impressive but they only allow you to go up 41 floors to the sky bridge that connects the 2 towers and you are only allowed 10 minutes. Sitting on top of the hill and at 282 meters, the observation deck of KL Tower lets you actually look slightly down on Petronas Towers since you are technically above them. The view was so good. I’ll let the pictures to the describing on this one.

(Petronas Towers taken from KL Tower)

(Menara Telekom in the distance. God approving of Kuala Lumpur)

After getting my fill of downtown KL it was time to head back to China Town. I wanted to find a better room. The place I got last night was close to the bus station and conveinent for walking purposes but it was loud and polluted. I found a place called Red Dragon Hostel and told them I would be arriving this morning. I then hit up the Chinese Central Market and for the 4th straight day I shopped. I didn’t think I would be doing this much shopping and so far it has all been practicle items like t-shirts, sun glasses etc. Last nights purchase was a new Diesel Bag. Sorry mom, I had to ditch the Adidas. I wanted something that was more of a street bag so that I had a place for my guide book, journal and camera and didn’t have to walk around with a big shoulder bag. This is more urban and more casual. The best part is that it only cost me $9. Malaysia has been very nice on my budget. I have been able to spend $30-35 per day here while shopping at the same time. Food is cheap as long as I stick to food stalls and night markets, however, I can still splurge on items here and there. As well as a couple of tall bottles of Tiger beer.

Speaking of which, at the bus station in Melaka before heading to KL there was an A&W fast food restaurant. I had promised no more fast food for awhile but with rootbeer out of a frosty mug sitting there waiting to be had by me, I couldn’t resist. I had been craving rootbeer for awhile and this was my chance so I took it. I think my next fast food will be a Long John Silvers I saw in Singapore. I’ll be good until then and stick with mostly local food. I have noticed that I feel better eating safer in the afternoon and then ordering randomly in the evening. I figure if something is going to hit my stomach right away I’d rather be back at the hotel and not walking around the city. I have been pretty good with the spicey stuff so far and I think I am beginning to aquire a taste. It may take a few more weeks to really settle in and be comfortable with the food. By that time I will probably be heading into Thailand to start the process all over again.

(Fried noodles, chicken, veggies and some spicey stuff)

I wandered around China Town a bit more after dinne and found myself at another streetside restaurant. I ordered a few beers and wrote in my journal. I enjoyed sitting back and taking in the location. I really like it here and it has only been one full day. I can’t really explain it and I’m not sure if it just the dreamer in me talking but I expected to like Kuala Lumpur long before arriving here. Years before arriving here and quite possibly a decade before arriving here.

To cap off an excellent day while eating beef and chicken skewers 3 local musicians came up on the street and performed. They played From Me To You by the Beattles. 2 acoustic guitars (one with a harmonica) and then a tamborine player who sang with them. It was great. I have no problem tipping for good performances so in went my 5 rinngit ($1.5 US). I pulled one of the singers over and asked him if they had a website or if they performed anywere else. He said they show up every night around the same time at this restaurant. I asked where I could catch some live music and he invited me along with them on Friday night to a club. If I am still here on Friday I will definitely be joining them.

I am now sitting at the Red Dragon Hostel in China Town. I want to give a quick plug because this place is excellent. Clean rooms and extremely helpful staff and all the rooms are tucked in the back away from the street which is a rarity while traveling to get that kind of quiet accommodation.

I uploaded A LOT of photos to my FLICKR account yesterday so check them out!



Tags: , , , , ,

-1 responses to “The Garden City of Lights”

  1. luis luccani says:

    brother tafuro,iam glad you are having a good time.we are all here thinking of you so there is a lot of people that care about you..by the way proto said ifyouneed any money,no problem just say the word..he knows a good pim over there that will pay you good money..ja ja –take care brother..

  2. Vinny Tafuro says:

    Hey bro… good job on the photos the city seems pretty awesome. Things are good here, I can’t believe you’ve been gone six weeks now though.

    btw… I have an interview with the Tribune today for an article on Young Professional groups… wish me luck.

    We should schedule a call in for the Media Talk program here in Tampa soon. Let me know if you have a Thursday you think you might be around for a phone call. 😉

  3. Paula says:

    You sound so happy so I am happy for u! I got your postcard today & it made my month. I miss u a lot & it only has been 6 weeks. I got my Storm season tickets & the 1st game is Mar 2nd. I will miss my stalker buddy spying on me-JJ! :> Have a Tiger beer for me & take care of yourself! LUV ya! ME 😕

  4. Sarah says:

    hey i want a $9 diesel bag! sounds like you’re having a blast! xoxo!

  5. marie says:

    happy new year!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *