BootsnAll Travel Network



What is that in my soup?

CURRENT LOCATION: Melaka, Malaysia

Today was jam packed for me. I have actually used the internet 4 times but I swear this last one was important. I seemed to have left my universal plug converter in Singapore so I wanted to charge my ipod before bed so I have found myself in an internet cafe at 1am. Rather convenient.

As for the other 3 times, well… I was just trying to get out of the sun a bit. I ended up going to see a movie. There were plenty of local films to choose from but I ended up going with Epic Movie. Terrible idea and lesson learned. No more American teen oriented movies while traveling.

I walked around and did some sight-seeing, visiting the People’s Museum which housed a great exhibit on body modification and mutilation around the world. It covered everything from labret wearing South American tribes to lip-plate wearing Africans to western tatooing. It was fittingly called “Enduring Beauty”. I continued on walking around the parts of Melaka I hadn’t seen yet. I visited St Paul’s Church on the hill in the town center and saw the old Dutch cemetary.

I eventually made my way back to my hotel and then out again for some dinner. I picked at a few items from the food stalls in China Town and then settled in for some local cuisine at Jonker 88. I wanted to throw myself into it otherwise I would never find something. It is quite overwhelming to order something off of a menu not having any idea what it is. I took a few notes at the People’s Museum which had an exhibit on Malay, Indian and Chinese food. The style of cuisine known as Nyonya looked especially interesting so I went with that. I ordered Baba Laksa. Nyonya is named for Chinese women who dress Malay. It is a mixture of the 2 foods and is usually cooked up in spicey curry with noodles and seafood. Baba Laksa was spicey but the soup was delicious and the noodles were great. There was a whole hard boiled egg in it along with mystery meat that I later advised was probably lung. I only took a few bites of the mystery meat but I think I took a huge step in trying the unknown this evening. I never took a photo of the meal itself but I found a shot on the internet.

(not my photo – check image address for credit)

Tomorrow I head for Kuala Lumpur.

Goodnight.



Tags: , , , ,

0 responses to “What is that in my soup?”

  1. marisa says:

    despite the ‘mystery meat’, it looks yummy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *