BootsnAll Travel Network



Last day in Ethiopia

So, I made it through my time in Ethiopia. I told myself if I could get through this then the rest of the trip will be a breeze. It is unfortunate, just like my 2 weeks in Morocco in 2005, that I got a cold the final few days. I left the piazza yesterday, which is the part of town you’ll find most of the backpacking hotels. Marie, an Australian woman I met in Bahir Dar recommended a German guesthouse in the Bole Rd portion of town which is much closer to the airport and is very, very nice. It is like staying at someone’s home. It is by far the best accomodation I have had so far and it is cheap as well. Only about $10. There is even a little resident monkey that hangs around.

I will suggest to anyone that is reading this blog for research on Ethiopia, at least stay your first and last night in Addis Ababa at this place. It is called “McMartin’s Cozy Place” and is located across the street from Atlas Hotel on the corner of Cameroon St and Mike Leyland St.

After I got settled in at the new hotel I headed out to the National Museum. They have a really good fossil exhibit of early humans and the museum houses “Lucy”, one of our earliest known ancestors. The originals are in the museum but kept away for preservation. They have copies on display which is kind of disappointing but still interesting.

I had gotten an email yesterday morning from Kenya Airways saying there was a significant change in my ticket from Tanzania to Rwanda so I headed to their office at the Hilton Hotel and got it straightened out. It was just the times on one of the dates and now we have a longer layover in Nairobi but that is ok.

I have really enjoyed my time in Ethiopia but I am ready to move on. I would have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Bahir Dar and Gondar and a bit disappointed with Lalibela (but that was probably because I got sick there) I fly to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania tomorrow to meet Daisy, a friend of mine from Seattle.

I’ve officially been traveling longer than I ever have before, so it has begun!

See you in another country….



Tags: , , , ,

-2 responses to “Last day in Ethiopia”

  1. Francesca says:

    Good on ya, Joey. Have a great time in Tanzania and give Daisy a hug for me when she gets there 🙂

  2. Claudette says:

    Congradulations Joey!!! I am so Glad that you enjoyed Ethiopia! I wish I was with you!!! Have a great tour of Africa & I cant wait to see your pics when you get back!! Love ya!!
    Claudette

  3. annie says:

    Good on ya, Joey! Have a great time with Daisy!!

  4. Kristen says:

    Sounds great, Joey! Keep up the blogging!!

  5. riga says:

    for some reason i am picturing you on the “madden bus” going thru Ethiopia.

  6. Reeves says:

    Wow Joey, sounds like you are having a great time with the exception of the cold! I hope you are taking lots of pictures for us. Looking forward to you coming home!!!! Take care

  7. Aster says:

    Hi Joey,

    Good to hear your trip. I got directed to your page via the Ethiopian Portal website:

    http://www.EthioPortal.com

    I am planning a trip to Ethiopia, and I will check out the place you recommended.

    Have a safe trip further south!

    Cheers,

  8. travelgirltiff says:

    i cant wait to know what that feels like joey. i love checking up on your trip progress!

  9. pratt says:

    Joey, now u know what i meant when i said u can’t understand a 3rd world country until u have truly experienced it. U obviously had it rougher than i when in i was in thailand–at least we were on paved roads—but usually quite bumpy and unevevn. I like the reviews on pizza and beer—also a couple of my favorites when traveling.— this is so cool to get a 1st hand unbiased travelogue.– i will check back often—-enjoy it as you go and as always we traveling STAY SAFE!!!

  10. Charlie says:

    Hey Jojo:
    we are all travelin with you, and living your expiriences. There are so many of us that wish you God’s speed and safe travels. Thanks for the fantastic write ups… and I certainly wish you a safe and harmonious trip . We all look forward to you comin home safely and well rounded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *