BootsnAll Travel Network



Hakuna Matata

Jambo!

I have arrived in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Home of Mt. Kilimanjaro, home of the Serengeti National Park, home of the Ngororongoro Crater, home of… well a lot of things that I am actually NOT seeing this time around.

Daisy should get in around 11pm tonight at our hotel. We’re staying in a 5 star with a view of the Indian Ocean. I know, really roughing it huh? I bought a 6 pack and a couple Stella Artois to celebrate with tonight. I went grocery shopping. Needed some potato chips of course. At the bottom of the hotel is a shopping mall with a casino… maybe I will try my hand at some black jack. It is actually really nice to be here right now. Slightly more familiar feeling than Ethiopia was and is a welcome change, if only for a couple of days. Tomorrow will be a full day in Dar es Salaam and then on Saturday we’ll fly to Kigali, Rwanda. I am hoping to be able to catch at least one of the championship games… preferably Colts/Pats but we’ll see.

I don’t have a whole lot of detail on Dar es Salaam yet because I just got in and I’m going to relax a bit. I will say that I feel like I’m back in Florida in August. It is HOT here. I left the cool brisk air of Ethiopia for the humid, stagnant, disgustingness of the tropical world. I am sure Daisy, being from Seattle, will be OVERJOYED at the weather. It is going to take a day or 2 for me to get back into it but really it is no different than being at home in the summer. Well, except no central A/C outside of the hotel here.

Oh well! I’m in Africa and as they say, HAKUNA MATATA. (it means no worries) I mean, incase you haven’t seen The Lion King. But I can’t imagine you haven’t.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Hakuna Matata”

  1. brookie says:

    Whatta wonderful phrase! I’m glad you are meeting up with Daisy that will be fun. Nothing new on this continent…except maybe smelliott is getting his balls off today! He will be half the man he uuused to be.

    ha i’m lame

  2. travelgirltiff says:

    awww hug daisy for me! you two take care of eachother! cant wait to see more about your adventures

  3. ash says:

    LMAO! Poor smelliot’s balls!!

    Anywho, I can not WAIT to hear about Rwanda! *squee* Todd and I have talked about doing a short-term volunteer excursion before he goes to med school – Tanzania looks like prime pickins’!

    ENJOY!

  4. Francesca says:

    I’m so jealous! I want to be back in Tanzania!! 🙁

  5. Juan says:

    Hey Joey,nrMelanie and I were saying how much we admire you for what your doing. I wish i was in your shoes right now. I’m in the middle of wrighting a 5page paper about Greek Theatre. Too bad your not in Greece I could use your help right now. Be safe.nrnrPeace Love Respect

  6. Loree says:

    Joey,

    I am so relieved that u r staying at a 5 star Hotel. We are reading your blog here, very intrigued, but I was so worried about u-that’s the mother in me, but I am so happy that u r enjoying your adventures & adventures they are -cant wait to see some more pix & most of us try to read your blog every day —–as always —stay safe

  7. Kathryn says:

    Hey! Glad to see that your having fun. I love the beer and pizza reviews!

  8. shawn says:

    Man you are livin the life in Africa! Im still stuck in the US till tuesday then back over to Singapore. I’ll be seein you there next month!!! Stay safe and dont get aids. =)

  9. Cherine says:

    I still miss you!! I had our baby the other day. – Sold it on ebay, no problem. If you want me to Western Union your half of the money, just let me know!! 🙂

  10. J says:

    I have no comment. 😉

  11. Carlos A says:

    Well bro I am so glad you are having so much fun Kid.!! Good luck …..God b with u

  12. Yoly says:

    loved read it all…finally…get to be a virarious world-travler just reading it….can’t wait till Asia…stay safe

  13. Lisa Heuer says:

    Just wanted to drop a line and say I’m enjoying reading about your adventures – living vicariously through your words and pictures! Stay safe and update often!
    Lisa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *