BootsnAll Travel Network



Roads Less Travelled

Lunch with Pirom Us with Newlyweds

Cara was bitter. She was sick, stranded in the hotel room. Adam met Pirom, a clever 16 year old english student, who invited him for a Sunday visit in his family’s village. Adam consumed palm juice, palm wine, and ice cold beer. Adam ate mangoes, palm fruit, tamarind, and coconuts hand picked from their trees. Adam feasted on rice from their paddies and chicken from their yard. In short, Adam spent the day being treated like royalty in the Cambodian countryside by an amazingly nice family, while Cara watched bad 90’s movies in bed.

A scant 2 days later, and the next town down the line, Cara was feeling better and also feeling like a VIP. We reunited with Chetra, our previous guest house manager, who giddily offered us an invite to his wedding which we couldn’t refuse. The next 3 days were punctuated by family introductions, motorbike rides around the countryside, and dining on the floor of the bride’s family home.

The wedding was an elaborate 2 day affair with chanting monks, dozens of gaudy costumes, broken English conversations over blaring music, and loads of beer and food.

In 10 days between tourist destinations, we gained an insight into Cambodian family life and made some new friends. It’d be difficult to overstate how welcoming and generous the people of this impoverished country are. However, all is not fun and feasting.

Ultimately, life in Cambodia is hard. You will have beggars at your wedding scavening the dinner tables. Your father will get sick, and there is no health insurance. No matter how good you do in school, you will not afford the $200 university tuition. You will never forget the family members you lost during the Pol Pot Regime. You will rely on the kindness of family and neighbors throughout your life, and you will return that kindness to everyone you meet.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *