BootsnAll Travel Network



Pupusa Hour

La Palma Mural Pupusa maker

As our bus approached a police checkpoint near the El Salvador border, the bus conductor informed everyone, they would need either their identification or 100 Lempiras ($5) in their hands. The actual border crossing was our easiest yet with a doctor checking for sick people, Honduran and Salvadoran officials, and a money changer all filing through the bus. As a bonus, we didn’t even have to pay any fees or bribes.

15 minutes into El Salvador, we arrived in artsy La Palma, where the base hotel is more expensive but comes with a hammock swinging on a patio, a table and couch, 3 beds, a TV, and hot water. The town’s buildings and electric poles greet you with technicolor murals and whimsical designs. We have already sampled the biggest difference to us so far from Honduras – pupusas. Starting in the evening, pupuserias open up to serve these sealed and grilled tortilla packages filled with cheese, beans, pork, or anything else. We appreciate never again being forced to eat a dinner of eggs, beans, rice and tortillas.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *