BootsnAll Travel Network



Halfway through New Zealand

Lakeside camping

We’ve now been tenting 15 out of the past 16 nights. Camping is a major New Zealand pasttime, and the sites are almost always in spectacular locations. We’ve camped on sandy beaches, calm lakes, and flowing rivers, with singing birds and usually sheep to wake us up in the crisp cool mornings.

What has impressed us most about New Zealand is not its stunning landscapes (though they are) but the amazing variety of them we’ve seen. The hills of Scotland are adjacent to the Rocky Mountains. The glaciers of Alaska collide with the rainforests of Hawaii. The torquoise waters of the Caribbean lap up against the fishing villages of Maine. And all this is within an easy day’s drive. Though New Zealand does not have the tallest mountains, deepest gorges, or longest beaches, it comes close on all counts in its two small islands.

Fox Glacier

We are now in Queenstown, halfway through our NZ (pronounced N-Zed) trip with what some way the most fantastic sights still to come. We’ll keep you posted. 🙂



Tags:

3 responses to “Halfway through New Zealand”

  1. Donna says:

    Heya! Just thought of you guys, because I somehow managed to kick JJ (sitting at table) in the throat while spinning around in the computer chair. Cara, I’m glad I can do my piece by absorbing all the klutziness in the world temporarily (I hope!) to keep you accident-free on the trail.

    Hurray for toilets and running water! You can experience the great outdoors without being disgustingly dirty. Hey, maybe even appreciate it more, not having to peer through a haze of insects coming to feast on your filth. I’m with you on not actually becoming part of the wildlife… 🙂 But then again, I’m a wimp…

  2. Bill Godfrey says:

    It sounds so wonderful and we are so happy you seem to be enjoyibf the sites ofsuch a beautiful country. I wish we could be with you!!

    We will be leaving Friday about 11:00AM for Florida and will not be home until late on Sunday, Nov 19. We will miss seeing your blog as we will have no computer on the trip!!

    Enjoy!! We love you.

    Mom and Dad

  3. Rochelle says:

    What an awesome picture! Glad you guys are having a great time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *