BootsnAll Travel Network



Cash is King

No Man's Land

Bargaining with police men over the clearly posted cost of your visa is a new low.

After 1 broken down bus, 10 hours overnight in a cockroach infested border town (the safe side), walking across the border, some bribery, and 3 hours off-roading on the highway in a Toyota Camry, we arrived in Siem Reap, the religious monument capital of the world, thankful to Vishnu that we knew what we were getting ourselves into.

We now have three different currencies in our pockets, Thai Baht, USD, and the Cambodian Riel, and frequently pay for items in two of the three currencies. The ATM’s spit out crisp USD bills, but US coins are worth nothing. Change is given in Riel, which is arguably worth something.

Welcome to Cambodia, kids.



Tags:

One response to “Cash is King”

  1. Donna says:

    Thanks for making me feel so very fortunate to have a simple car-train-subway-walk to get me to my NYU classes. The link makes the border crossing sound like such a hassle – After that, I hope Siem Reap was even better than you’d hoped. Glad you’re still having such an amazing time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *