BootsnAll Travel Network



4 Showers a Day

dry season view Fisherman on Kompong Poy Green Rice Paddies

We are here in the middle of the dry season, and the ever-present rice paddies are a dull brown broken up only by colorful pagodas and sporadic spikes of palm trees.

Pickup trucks overflowing with bushels of vegetables, bags of rice, suitcases, motorbikes, and as many people as can find a handhold are the standard means of intercity transportation. For a splurge, locals hop on the tenuously air-conditioned private buses where the driver will place plastic chairs in the aisle when all the seats are taken. The motorbike is king for local transport, fitting up to a family of 6, 2 pigs, or Adam and Cara as the passengers.

All of the above need to contend with Cambodia’s stellar roads insuring the livelihood of anyone who can repair a tire. After a trip, a shower is required and laundry recommended. Not even the buses are immune to the constant dirt as open windows supplement the insufficient air-conditioning. But the Cambodians take this all in stride with an infectious smile visible even beneath a pink Snow White dust mask that makes it all bearable.

In the wet season, boats are often the most effective means of transportation. Rowing to the middle of Kompong Poy, a man-made 8KM long reservoir, surrounded by impossibly green rice paddies, the only sounds are the paddles hitting the water and the boat floating through patches of aquatic plants. Lotus blossoms bloom everywhere and jumping in the serene water to cool off is inspiration to return to Cambodia during the monsoon in the future. We just hope the ferries work better than the buses.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *