BootsnAll Travel Network



33 degrees and climbing

koala

After five years of drought in southern Australia, the ground is rock hard, the fire bans are daily, and the scenery is 40 shades of brown. This could make for a camping disaster. However, the abundant national parks offer an oasis of trees, free electric BBQs, and, when needed, a borrowed mallet for pitching the tent. Most importantly, kangaroos, koalas, and other wildlife spend their evenings foraging in nearby bush for their dinner while we cook ours. Walking in the bush is a 2-person job. One keeps an eye out for the cute furry, feathery, or spiny creatures, while the other has their eyes glued to the track watching for the legless lizards – only one so far.

Our original “plan” was to spend the next week on the overflowing with wildlife Kangaroo Island before returning to Melbourne. That was before we realized all of southern Australia is overflowing with wildlife. Instead, we drive north tomorrow to Flinders Ranges on the edge of the outback.

Off to take more pictures of kangaroos that hopefully won’t be “reformatted” when we next attempt to upload them. In the meantime, your animal of the day is: Echidna. We’ve seen three of these elusive guys so far, but we’re still on the lookout for platypus.



Tags:

0 responses to “33 degrees and climbing”

  1. Sherri says:

    Hey there,nr Sounds like a great trip so far. Love reading the blogs. Take care,nrLove Sherri and Tyler

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *