BootsnAll Travel Network



Azrou, monkeys and soup

  Azrou,  nestled in the middle atlas is the home of the Barbary apes which we came here to see.  Thankfully there is a youth hostel in Azrou, even if it is up a really big hill, and behind a dark and lonely patch of mountain, it still was a life saver.  Home of the coldest shower I have ever taken, with the friendiest cockroaches I have ever encounted, it was fantastic to be out of the mountain chill.

  The Morrocans know their soup and right next to the bus station was a man with the best harira, lentil soup, ever.  We eat bowls of the stuff, Yummy! I swear one of my favorite past times in Morrocco is eating.  All the strange and unknown food you can get from the street vendors is cheap fast and delicious.  I can’t forget the juice!  One glass of freshly squeezed orange juice is 30 cents.  Thank Allah for that, did I forget to say I love this place. 

  The trek for the monkeys started late as usual, but we did get up the mountain in good time.  We happened across the best guide in all of Azrou who gave us some vague directions and invited us to the monastary to have tea when we were done.  The rest of the day was climing up, up, up and a few times we veered off the main road to get lost in the mountains to look for the elusive Barbary, but alas we found nothing. 

  We did have a lovely break on the precipice of this rock formation looking over Azrou.  Quite beautiful.    Beaten down by the walk and the invisible monkeys we started to head back when we ran into another guy who we  had encountered on the trail.  His car was in need of a push of the mountian so of course we helped him out.  Afterwards he invited us for tea, and happily rolled his car down the mountain.

  Then it happened, MONKEYS!  Walking back we spotted some in the forest and even though we were so tired we all sprung back to life and entered the forest in search of more monkeys.  Some folks got great photos, hopefully I can share them with you all at a later time.  It is so crazy to see animals in their natural setting. I couldn’t believe how many of them there were.    What a day.

  On the way back we were trying to located Mohammed, mistakenly we went into some ladies house and even though she didn’t know Mohammed or why we where there. she gave us tea and some terrible tasting goats milk that we all drank with a smile.  Finally we did have tea with Mohammed  at his chicken farm, and enjoyed the sweets and goodness of the day. 

  Heading back the cold stung our warmth seeking bodies and a decision was made,

 

head for the desert.

 

 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *