BootsnAll Travel Network



Sweaty like sugar- Rissani

  Travel in Morocco isn’t as difficult as one may imagine.  As long as you aren’t in a hurry, and have a gut of steel the local buses are a great way to see the country and sweat like mad.   I like getting off at some of the stops and eating all the wonderful strange treats the locals have whipped up for the weary eyed bus rider. 

  The bus ride to Rissani was long, hot and dusty.  Slowy the mountains gave way to plains and then the plains dissapear into dusty desert.  The adobe houses built along the way blend completely into their surroundings. A monochromatic daydream throughout the whole ride.  Ocassionally a oasis appears and the green of the palms draw you in and for a moment you forget you are in the middle of a very harsh and unforgiving enviornment. 

  As soon as we reached Rissani and got off the bus we were bombarded with people trying to get us into their taxis, to their hotels, to their restraunts!   Enough!  We refused all the offers and headed to town to try to make some sence of the confused and shady atmosphere. 

  Yes, we wanted to ride camels into the desert, but with everyone telling you theirs is the best, you tend to get pissed off, besides being tired and sweaty, bargaining just isn’t on the high list of things I want to do when I first roll into a town.

  Thankfully Mr. Couscous came to our rescue.   With his funny arabic/french/english expressions like Americans are sweaty like sugar, we couldn’t resist his charm and took him up on his bargain offer of 200 dirhams per person for a camel ride, and a night with the Berbers.

   Camel rides are so fun!  All the way to the camp our group was silent, the stars came out and the dunes became huge looming shadows in the fading light.  Truly a magical experience, definatley worth 20 dollars US. 

  At the camp we befriended our Berber hosts.  We played with the little girls, drummed on empty water bottles and danced under the stars.   After much playing around we enjoyed the best Tajine I have ever had in my whole Moroccan experience. 

  The rest of the night we spent running up and falling down the dunes, staring at the stars and getting sand in every imaginable place, god it was good.  The next morning we got back on the camels and took a 4×4 ride to Rissani where we would meet our adopted father Mohammed.

 

 



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Sweaty like sugar- Rissani”

  1. frankie says:

    Good on you, Jessica, now you’ve really got the swing of traveling! keep on going! make the best of it and come back when you have enough stories to tell!!!

  2. Santa Monica says:

    Jesse what’s up? I am so glad you are having a good time in the foreign soils. Atleast you don’t have to deal with George W.. I am staying at Richs’ for the weekend and read your blogs. Rich says he enjoys your blogs and sends good cheers. I want to write you but I don’t know where to send it. Anyways I hope you are havin a good time and stay away from the hashish. Love Paris

  3. momma says:

    hi jess,
    awaiting a new update on your blog. ya know how I worry about ya. I hope your trip to Nowhere was eventful and enjoying. All my love hugs and kisses
    yo momma

  4. admin says:

    to jay-
    §§
    to paris-
    keep yer nose clean
    I have no real adress right now, sorry
    the best way is jessicakomaromy at gmail
    bugs and fishes
    me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *