BootsnAll Travel Network



Ifrane…. mountains are good for the soul

  Hi all, sorry for the back log but as always my plans changed.  I decieded not to endure another city and head straight for the hills.  Unfortunatley my travel buddie got some illness that required him to head back to Spain..  Little did I know that a little illness on his part would open me up to a whole world of fun with new found friends at the hostel.  Heading south they say??  Hell yes!  So south the seven, yes seven,  of us went.  Really it wasn’t too far south, just far enough to get a breath of fresh air and into the cold mountains of the middle atlas.

  The bus ride was another experience in itself.  One of the girls I am travelling with, Kathy, made friends with a girl who taught us arabic and showered us with food the whole trip.   It was truly sad to get off the bus, time really flies when you are the center of entertainment for the locals.

  We decide to camp and of course like the brillant experienced traveller that I am I left my sleeping bag and tent in Granada!!  Oh No!  What one pays for lightening up the load.  Luckily Abdul the coolest most down to earth camsite manager in all of Morocco provided me and another unprepared homie with a lovely huge berber carpet and blankets, what a guy.   But, no the goodness doesn’t end there.  He then brought us tea which he prepared on a propane tank turned stove, told us stories of his life and then brought us the most fantastic thing of all MUSIC!  Note to self, travel speakers are a necessity next time.    

  It did get really cold, but we stayed up while Phil read Ronald Dahl stories and laughed and talked until we collapsed in a cold induced mountain splendor.  The next morning, we whipped up a salad and prepared for a 17km hike to the cascades.   The trip was filled with yet more singing and dancing down the forest trail to two sets of cascades about 7km apart.  Morocco has some beautiful wildlife.  I love it here.  Suprisingly we had the energy to get in a Grand Taxi to Azrou the town of the Barbary Apes. 



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *