BootsnAll Travel Network



Uruguay

After our unexpected day in Porto Alegre, we were on yet another overnight bus, this time to Montevideo, and back to being able to at least mostly understand the language.

In places the old town is really nice, but its pretty clear which bits haven´t yet been done up! After wandering around for a while we found ourselves at the old port market, expecting it to be a market. Its actually a huge Parilla (barbeque) emporium. The building (and the one next to it) is full of parilla stalls, all with huge grills loaded with meat. They light a fire behind the grill, and pull the hot embers from the bottom of the fire under the grill to cook. You pull up a stool, order and within a couple of minutes your meal is in front of you. The best fast food we´ve had in a long time!
Montevideo Mercado del Puerto - Asado stall

Only a brief stop in Montevideo, on to Colonia de Sacramento. The old town here is a world heritage site. Its a pleasant and quiet little place, although I suspect it is busier during the day when the boats from Buenos Aires are in. We watched the sun set from up the lighthouse (you can see BsAs from up there too) and then felt the need to try some Uruguayan tannat, in the interest of research!

Colonia de Sacramento Parking placeSunset over Buenos Aires from lighthouse



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *