BootsnAll Travel Network



Mendoza and around

After a flying visit back in Buenos Aires (about 5 hours) we caught another overnight bus (our 5th in one and a half weeks) to San Juan (about 200km north of Mendoza).

The main reason for coming here was to visit Ischigualasto (also known as Valle del la Luna), which is famous for its rock formations – it is also pretty important geologically – which was explained to us in Spanish, which neither of us understood completely, but we think it has something to do with having fossils from the whole Trissaic period (245-208 million years ago).

We just liked the cool rock formations, some of which required some imgaination (the worm), but the mushroom and submarine were fairly obvious. Nick was particularly taken with the round balls, which were smaller than I´d expected and in a smaller area too.

Parque Ischigualasto - El HongoParque Ischigualasto - El SubmarinoParque Ischigualasto - Bolchas

After San Juan it was time for Mendoza and some red wine tasting – on the back of a bicycle. The Bodegas are much friendlier than ones we´d experienced in France (acutally seemed pleased to take you round) though it was odd having to make an appointment to visit, as was turning up on the back of a bike! Also unlike France, there was no pressure to buy – although asking who the importers into the UK where went down well! Being the only two at one place (Weinert) was really interesting. We aslo visited Nieto Senetiener and Alta Vista – ones to keep an eye out for back at home!

Lunch back at the bicycle hire place was brilliant – one of the best meals we´ve had (aside from the steaks) since leaving home – an assortment of tapas (hot and cold) all washed down with a random bottle of Malbec (but good all the same!)
Jenni´s empties pileTastingLunch in Chacras (the wine wasn´t that bad – I promise!!)

We tried to go hiking for a couple of days and headed up to a place called Vallecitos and the Cordon del Plata mountain range. Us suffering from colds + alltitude = not being able to walk very far without being completely out of breath! We did manage to get to around 3,350m one day (from a starting point of 2,500m) which was hard work, but the views were great (no photos at the mo – the computer won´t recognise the camera).

A side trip to San Rafael to use a hotel voucher my sister had picked up in BA (two nights B&B in a boutique hotel can´t be sniffed at when travelling on a budget!) The place was a bit odd, but friendly. We were the only ones there on the first night which came as a bit of a surprise. Visited another Bodega (Bianchi), this one makes fizzy pop & we got to sample some, refreshing, but with colds neither of us can taste much!! We found the olive oil museum/shop a couple of kms down the road more interesting – Nick had been sampling olives off the tree and they tasted foul, so we were wondering how they made them taste nice (lots of time in salted water)!

It was then time for Puente del Inca and views of Aconcagua (the highest mountain outside of the Himalyas – 6,952m).

Puente del Inca is a natural bridge across a river formed from I don´t know what, but there are hot water springs around so I guess it must have something to do with volcanic activity, with a sort of town attached to it! It is a strange little sort of town, with a strange, but friendly (if not cold – no heating, 3C in our room on waking) hostel – bit of a change from the boutique hotel the previous night!
For veiwing Aconcagua we were rewarded with a stunning day with no clouds (only the wind off the top of the mountain blowing the snow). It looks tough to climb. Reading some equipment lists you need clothes that go down to -40C and a tent that can survive 160km+ winds. We were out of season though (finishes in March, kind of phew, but part of me wants to have done it – a bit like having said “I’ve run a marathon”…) so had no reason to even think of attempting it, or heading up to base camp which has the highest (now closed for the season) hotel in the world.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *