BootsnAll Travel Network



Tokyo

We finally end up in Tokyo (after passing through earlier in the trip). Not much sightseeing here, more general sorting out and deciding whether or not to risk Fiji given coup risks…

We did however get up stupidly early (aka 4.45am) to visit the Tsukiji fish markets. Japan is a super organised, rule following, clean country. The fish market, however, is a world unto its own. Although I suspect it was organised chaos that we witnessed rather than general chaos!!

We managed to catch the end of a tuna auction, no idea how much the beasts were selling for (guide book says up to 1m yen, but they are enormous. Some around 1.5m long – with their tails chopped off.

Tokyo Tsukiji Fish Market - tuna sales

After the auctions, the fish was carted off to be sawn into chuncks – using band saws whist still frozen, it then moved through the market and some eventually ends up as sushi at the front of the market.

We didn’t partake in sushi for breakfast, especially after watching some of the live fish being killed as it was sold. We’d had conveyor belt sushi the night before and so felt we didn’t need it two meals running!

We also went to the museum of emerging science and technology – spent some time looking in a space shuttle (life is powered by velcro) and a deep sea dive buggy. A little too sciency for me, but enjoyable – would probably have been more fun if we understood japanese and could join in the demonstrations etc as it seemed very well organised.

And that was Japan. Really enjoyed it, not too many language problems, everything seems to be forgiven as long as you know your p’s & q’s and use them

    lots

!



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *