BootsnAll Travel Network



Crouching bugs, Hidden Erin

       In Missouri it goes-“buzz, buzz, slap! slap!”  In Queensland it goes-” crawl, crawl, AAAAaaaaaaeeeeeeeeee!!!”   The bugs here are pretty brutal.  I get mysterious bites on my arms and legs, and I don’t know where they came from or how they got there.  There’s ants and sandflies everywhere just ready to crawl on you or bite you as the case may be.  The other night I was getting water, and something jumped on me.  I looked down and saw a bug at least 2 inches long on my jacket sleeve, and I found out that it was sticky after I tried to flick it off.  The something just decided to crawl up my jacket after I tried to get rid of it.  At this point I did 3 things:  scream, drop my water, and try to pull my jacket off as fast as I could. I don’t know what the something decided to do after that, because I havn’t worn that jacket since.  The nights were getting hot anyway. 

         – Scared in the Dark Erin



Tags: ,

One response to “Crouching bugs, Hidden Erin”

  1. Alison in Melbourne says:

    Hi Sappingtons,

    Erin I wonder if it was a Praying Mantis on your jacket sleeve. I think they have little suction disks on their feet. Most of the bugs you’ll see are harmless. I agree about the bullants; they are all over the place. Don’t be frightened of them. I’ve been nipped a couple of times and the best remedy, I was told once, is human urine. You’ll hear lots of that sort of story from the “bushies”. I can tell you from experience, it works and works brilliantly.

    I do hope you havent been counting the “no worries mate”s. You’ll hear it all day every day, as you are no doubt aware by now.

    Have you all been eating lots of fruit? It’s beautiful up there: the pineapples and bananas and Mangos! Just love those Mangos!

    I’m enjoying reading your stories, you girls have got your Moms wonderful talent with the written word. You communicate beautifully.

    Will come back here from time to time to read more.

    Happy travels, Alison

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *