BootsnAll Travel Network



The birds

Well, we’ve been here almost three weeks now, and I must say that the birds are what amazes us the most.  They are such little comics.  The crows look much like ours, only bigger–heck, they’re all bigger.  They say a short little caw caw, but then trail off into an amorous tom cat sound.  The magpies look like the crows, only they have white on them.  You have to wear a hat around them or they will dive bomb your head.  We thought the warning was just Aussie humor, but then I got “swished” myself.

 The wild turkeys look just like ours, but their behavior is completely different.  They came right within 3 feet of us,  because they are such awful little beggars.  We watched on the beach one day with amusement as a turkey went back repeatedly to eat a whole bag of donuts out of someone’s things.  A crow kept stealing them from him though, so he’d just go back and get more.

 One night I heard a horrible scream come from just outside our cabin, and ran outside with visions of crocodiles attacking my girls.  It was only a little bird on very long legs, and looking quite innocent.  We found out later that it’s called a curlew.  Besides owls, it’s the only bird I know of that stays up all night.

The funniest one by far though, is one that sounds like a child’s tin horn, and it says either “uh oh, uh oh, uh oh” or else “nah nah na-naaah nah”, just like a naughty kid’s song.  I haven’t got the name of that one yet, but I will soon.  For now, I’m just content to listen to the cacophony of bird calls that begins quite early in the morning!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *