BootsnAll Travel Network



Spending A Sunday With The Assembly Of God Ngobe

Last Sunday, I finally got an invitation to the local Evangelical church, which happens to be an Assembly of God church.This church is the church that my family attends-actually, it´s the church almost everyone near me attends! I had been interested in going to a church here;howver, Westerners are not always welcome at some churches/events. Therefore, I needed a formal invitation.

On Sunday morning, my family told me that that afternoon, three of the church elders would be paying me a visit. I would be expected to play hostess-meaning, offer coffee with lots of sugar, and some other treat.My family would provide me with a girl in the family to help me serve and prepare the coffee. Providing a girl to help serve or prepare food is the custom here, and girls begin learning these duties from the age of six on up. My helper for this special event was a eight year old. I would also be expected to wear my traditional dress as a sign of respect.

The elders showed up at about 3 in the afternoon-one man was the head pastor, and the other two were assistant pastors. They sat down on the back porch, where all family and friends sit when they visit. We were introduced in Spanish, and they sat down and talked with Catalina, my host mother.

I was wearing the traditional dress of the Ngobe-it had just been completed the day before by a friend´s sister. I was somewhat used to wearing it by Sunday, as on Saturday night, I had had to wear it for a meeting with a local women´s group.

I was, however, still not used to walking in it! The dress is VERY ample, and is down to the ground. The day before I had struggled alot, walking up and down the mountain and on the dirt roads here.

I also was having a hard time with the colors-it is bright bright green, with red, light blue, and yellow zigzags. Compared to my practical travel clothes, It felt like I was a walking rainbow.

At any rate, the dress recieved many compliments from the church elders. I was glad I had had it made-once agiain, proving that adapting to a different culture is much more effective than insisting on your own!

The young girl in my family made the hot boiled coffee and I poured it into plastic cups for the 3 men. Then, I brought out a chunk of cane sugar, which we cut into pieces. This ¨candied¨cane sugar is considered a dessert here-and I had been given it by the women´s group the night before. It is eaten in chunks,or slivers, and very very sweet.

The three elders began talking about God, about Jesus, about Heaven , about everything you can think of. All three spoke with great fervor and excitement, for about 2 hours. The whole time, they were drinking cup after cup of coffee, and after two hours they had polished off all the sugar as well.

Frankly, I didn´t understand much of what they said-particially because they were sometimes speaking in their language, and particially because when they did speak in Sapnish, it was very fast. But I did understand that they were very excited, that they wanted to invite me to their church.
The invitation itself was rather formal-they asked my family to ask me, and then my family asked me.
Of course I said YES!

So that night,we prepared to go to the Asssembly of God church down the road. Maybe I shouldn´t use the words ¨down the road¨-that sort of implies ease. Rather, it was a half an hour walk in the pouring rain on a slick muddy road in the dark.

Accompanying us was a large group of neighborhood women and children-including one woman pastor from the church(who is my next door neighbor); a young woman, about 16 years old, with a baby;several elderly women; a rag-tag group of about 15 children; and my family.

I could not believe that we were all going to walk there, in the rain, in the mud, in the dark, with a little baby. The women had no umbrellas(they are a luxury here for some people); they were wearing the traditional Ngobe dress down to their ankles; and flip flops. I could hardly walk in my high tech sandals-I had to hold on tightly to the shoulder of Arturo, the boy that lives at my house, or I would´ve fallen. There were also frogs everywhere-and I mean everywhere! (it doesn´t normally rain this time of the year, so they were all out frolicking in the mud!)

In my country, people would never take a little baby in their arms and walk to a church(or anywhere, for that matter) in the pouring rain, on a slick muddy road. They would have the perfect little carrier or stroller for the baby; sturdy shoes; raincoats; umbrellas; and probably take a car to begin with. But here, people have nothing-and they make do with nothing.

We hiked up a hill, rounded a bend, and came upon the church itself.

The church was basically an enormous, open on all sides, carport-like building. It was not even a building-more like a cement slab, with posts around it, and a very nice metal roof. It had no lights, and only a few benches for people.

As far as people, there were at least two hundred people there, and more coming by the minute. People were coming with their entire families, babies, small children, women, young adults,men, old people, sick people on stretchers-you name it. There were also quite a few dogs running around; cows grazing right next to the church; horses tethered to the posts; and chickens and their chicks in boxes.

We sat down on a roughly hewn bench, held up by a few cement cinderblocks,and I got a chance to look around.

One thing I noticed immediately was that there was a large space in the middle of the church-much larger than an aisle-and this was full of people, who seemed to be swaying back and forth in a line. The second thing I noticed was that on the right hand side of the church there was only one pew-or rather, bench. The entire right hand side of the church was taken up by families and their posessions-and I mean everything, from cooking pots to chickens to blankets. Catalina told me that these people had basically been camping out here, waiting for the church service-most of them had walked over ten hours to get here from the campos(farms), in the mountains of the Comarca.

The service began with the lead pastor calling out for a prayer. A man offered to come to the front and begin the prayer, and as soon as he started praying, EVERYONE in the entire church started praying also. Everyone was praying differently, calling out, singing, reciting..it was impossible for me to distinguish any one prayer in particular. The women that had been standing in the middle of the church, swaying back in force, were particularly fervent.

After the prayer, they did a reading from the Bible. They read from the book of Job. The reading was donw by seven different pastors, including a few women.The only light used in the church were flashlights, so the reading of the Bible was done by flashlight. People in the congregation would call out ¨Gracias Dios¨(thankyou God) alot during the reading.

Also during the reading, life went on as usual-children did no sit still, they ran around, played, slept; people ate; diapers were changed; greetings were exchanged between adults.

After this, the singing began-every age group took turns singing songs. All the singing was accompanied by musical instruments: a guitar, a whistle; a gourd full of dried maiz,shaken like a rattle; a drum, of animal skins; and a conch shell.

Halfway thru the singing of one group of children, the women in the middle of the church started swaying and dancing faster and faster.One woman´s body began shaking violently, and people began walking her up the front of the entire congregation. Once she was in front of everyone, her dancing and shaking and speaking got faster and faster-and people were calling out ¨Gracias Dios¨and so on. The woman danced, whirled, shook, and spoke rapidly for more than 5 minutes. When she was done she collapsed near one of the pastors, and immediately the entire congregation broke out into wild applause.

People continued taking turns singing, including a particularly beautiful song sung by a blind girl who was about 12 years old. Her singing was interrrupted occassionally by another blind girl at her side, who would begin speaking rapidly, or alternatively, calling out prayers of devotion. People went wild in the congregation when the two blind girls were walked off the stage.The applause, the prayers being called out, were incredibly fervent for the two girls.

I myself was simply blown away by the beauty of their singing.

At this point, the main pastor announced I was in the audience and requested for me to come forward. There was thunderous applause for me as I came up to the front of the stage. I was pretty nervous, and I had no idea what was expected of me at all!

I went up to the front, and they proceeded to ask me if they could lay hands on me. I said yes, and immediately people in the congregation were singing out prayers and praises-there was alot going on at once. Suddenly, at least half the congregation got up out of their seats and came towardsme. I had no idea what to do, so I just stood there!

They all began laying hands on my body, taking turns. As they laid hands on me, they would call out, tremble or pray. By the time they were done, almost every adult (more than 200!) had laid hands on me in the congregation.

What did it feel like? Well, first off-it was different! I´ve never had an experience like that before-with so many people. Secondly, I would say it was a very moving, deeply spiritual experience. Although it is not something I have experienced before( I have been to similiar churches in the past, but none with this degree of fervor and prayer, expressed in such a uniquely Ngobe way), I have no doubt that the presence of God was there. The people approached the stage with such joyfulness that it astonished me.

When I left the stage, I felt significantly different than when I first walked up to the front-I felt no nervousness, no anxiety(social situations on stages make me anxious!) and felt a true sense of peacefulness. Interesting.

Everyone came up to me and shook my hand, and it was as though I was part of the Ngobe who were there.

We all walked home in the pouring rain, Catalina using my umbrella to cover the newborn baby.

Definitely, a very beautiful memorable experience for me.

gg



Tags:

48 responses to “Spending A Sunday With The Assembly Of God Ngobe”

  1. I guess I agree with you, though I now probably wont qualify for Boston until Im, oh, say 60.

  2. Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was looking for! “…obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken.” by Adolf Hitler.

  3. This is a nutritional supplement that men with type 2 diabetes are probably
    better off leaving alone.

    My web blog :: http://weddingme.co.kr/board_uFdF44/4262

  4. The common esterified compounnds used for injection are testosterone cypionate andd testosterone
    enanthate.

    My blog; testosterone therapy near me – ruppel-sonnenschutz.de

  5. Hannelore says:

    After obtaining information from the electronic record systems of 15 hospitals annd 150 practices,
    the researchers looked at the combined cardiovasculaar event rate of heart attack, stroke
    and death iin men with low testosterone who received
    testosterone treatment and iin those who did not.

    Here is my page testosterone replacement therapy cost in india (Hannelore)

  6. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish
    be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly
    the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

    my web-site; The Naturist Dating Club

  7. Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This
    is an extremely neatly written article. I will be sure
    to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful info.
    Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    My blog … The Nudist Dating Club [http://fc.cx/]

  8. The includedd studies symbolized 3,236 men (1,895 men treated with
    testosterone, 1,341 mmen treated with placebo) who
    reported 51 major adverse cardiovascular events, defined as
    cardiovascular death, non fatal mycardial infafction or stroke, and serious acute coronary syndromes or heart failure.10 This study did
    not find a statistically significant increased risk of these cardiovascular events associated with testosterohe therapy.

    my page – http://faberasystems.com/en/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=6422

  9. solnews.eu says:

    Fats from meat and coconut oil are essential to enhance testosterone levels in mosat peole when practicing complete good nutrition.

    Check ouut my web-site best anti aging supplement
    regimen (solnews.eu)

  10. Testosterone treatment has Been wijdely advertised as a way
    to help low sex drive improves and reclaim diminished energy, and
    use of the supplements is on the increase.

    Here is my web-site :: http://cruciblearena.com/groups/aging-vitamins-supplements/

  11. The results demonstrated that of the 12 Sexuality measurements in thhe survey,
    10 were significantly improvedd for men iin the testosterone group.

    Here is myy webpage: http://gromor.cl/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=18521

  12. In addition, there are more experienced patients who have been on testosterone therapy.

    Feel free to surf to my web sit … http://ssartel.com/component/k2/itemlist/user/180284.html

  13. Aging men can also experience symptoms and signs including declines iin energy level and problems with sexual function,
    but it’s noot certain whether these are caused by the lowered testosterone levels or
    due to normal aging.

    Also visit my blog postt – http://escortsfromparadise.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=52637

  14. Likewise, men taking testosterone enanthate may gfow a bitgter taswte iin the mouth, hair loss
    headaches, acne, changes within theiir livido and many
    other oral problems.

    my web blog anti aging supplements hgh

  15. The CPG advocates that doctors avoid prescribing testosterone to improve sexual dysfunction in women who don’t have HSDD.

    my webpage; http://xtasie.com/members/corinnelevien/activity/16976/

  16. Small quantities of androgens are found inn girls, whjile these in many
    cases are thought of as malee hormones.

    Feel free to visit my homepage http://www.somsocial.com/index.php/blog/59710/signs-symptoms-of-low-testosterone-levels-in-women/

  17. Alfred says:

    Another important study, reeased last week suggested that effective testosterone therzpy
    could reduce men’s risk for cardiovascular events.

    Here is my blog post – anti aging supplements 2016 – Alfred,

  18. Although it is within reason to construe tjat hormone therapy may hazve a direct impact on the centers in the brain that control mood, it’s vital that you admit the side effects off
    hormone therapy may additionally bring about the growth of depression,” Pal,
    who wasn’t involved in the study, said by email.

    my web site; http://facemmok.com/RubinLarnach/info/

  19. Christina says:

    An intramuscular injection oof 200 to 300 milligrams is generally sufficient to make boddy testosterone levels to normal.

    Feel free to visit my webpage … testosterone therapy costa rica (Christina)

  20. An investigation of the effehts of testosterone therapy onn bone fractures
    and metabolic parameters is ongoing.

    Feel free to vvisit my web page: http://amazeh.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=150694

  21. The results revealed that off the 12 Sexuality measurements 10, in the questionnaire were significantly improved forr guys iin the testosterone group.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site; http://aloustora.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=48014

  22. Rosie says:

    І havе been absent for some time, but noѡ I remember why I used
    to love this website. Thank you, I’ll try and сheck Ьack more freqսently.
    How freequently you updaatе yoᥙr site?

    my weЬѕite Artist Huгd; Rosie,

  23. Testosterone treatment due to removal of oone or
    both testicles, or excedssive intake of testosterone supplements can raise the testosterone levels in the body.

    my sitte – testosterone therapy cost australia (http://www.loverpalace.com)

  24. Based on an article in the Wall Street Journal , weight loss expert
    Jenna Grifith says the finest Garcinia cambogia dosage for effectiveness is at
    least 800 milligrams three times a day (for a total of
    2400 mg or more a day), taken 30 minutes before eating.

    Take a look at my web blog – garcinia cambogia extract walmart.ca

  25. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post
    is written by him as no one else know such
    detailed about my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!

  26. I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be
    what precisely I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to
    write content for you? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or
    elaborating on a few of the subjects you write with regards to here.
    Again, awesome site!

    My site … credit fraud alert mortgage

  27. Very nice post. I certainly appreciate this website. Continue the good work!

    Also visit my homepage: best credit monitoring service

  28. Hey! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be
    okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward
    to new posts.

    My web-site :: credit monitoring services (https://www.behance.net/stopidentityfraud)

  29. Hi, I read your new stuff on a regular basis.
    Your writing style is witty, keep it up!

    Here is my web page; credit fraud attorney

  30. Leslee says:

    All products come with their fair share of danger which is
    reviewing the ingredients contained in Garcinia Cambogia nutritional supplements.

    Take a look at my web-site – garcinia cambogia xt reviews – Leslee,

  31. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

    My homepage: drain cleaning oceanside ca (https://foursquare.com/v/oceanside-plumbing–oceanside-plumbers/572c1b9c498e524144b3088f?referrer=add-place)

  32. If you wish for to grow your familiarity just keep visiting this web site and be
    updated with the latest news posted here.

    Feel free to surf to my site: plumber in oceanside (http://www.mylocally.com/)

  33. Right here is the perfect blog for anybody who really wants to find out about this topic.

    You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a fresh spin on a topic that’s been discussed for
    decades. Great stuff, just wonderful!

  34. Simply want to say your article is as amazing.
    The clearness in your post is just nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated
    with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the
    rewarding work.

  35. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of
    the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

  36. Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited your blog
    before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back
    regularly!

  37. Fastidious respond in return of this issue with solid
    arguments and describing the whole thing concerning
    that.

  38. I’m not sure exactly why but this website is loading
    very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or
    is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and
    see if the problem still exists.

    Here is my homepage; air duct cleaning near me (storage.googleapis.com)

  39. I all the time used to read article in news papers but now as I am a user of internet
    thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to web.

  40. minecraft says:

    Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is
    simply spectacular and i can assume you’re an expert on this subject.

    Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

  41. minecraft says:

    Excellent web site you have got here.. It’s difficult to
    find good quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

  42. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed
    to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% sure.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it

    Here is my site :: stop identity fraud website [http://www.facebook.com]

  43. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist
    with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog
    to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.

    If you know of any please share. Cheers!

  44. Wonderful post however I was wanting to know if you
    could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if
    you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

  45. tinyurl.com says:

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i got here to go back the favor?.I am attempting
    to in finding things to improve my web site!I guess its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  46. I simply couldn’t depart your site before suggesting that I actually loved the standard information an individual provide on your
    guests? Is going to be again regularly to investigate cross-check new posts

  47. j.mp says:

    Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic however ,
    I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe
    guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My website discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.

    If you are interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

  48. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was
    curious what all is needed to get setup? I’m assuming having
    a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100%
    positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *