BootsnAll Travel Network



Mountain Journey: Part Four: I Become A World Citizen

This is final part of a series of four.

I woke up this morning having decided to do something which many people may consider impossible-I´ve decided to help to the communities of Cerro Limon, and the adjoining community, Cerro Iglesias, build a bridge.

All night long, I kept waking up, thinking about the people that had died trying to cross that makeshirt bridge I had heard about. I kept thinking about the kids trying to get to to school and falling off the bridge into the river.

I knew that the first thing on the agenda today was to take a hike to the current site of the makeshift bridge to see if what I had heard was true-if it really was as dangerous as they had told me the night before. I set out with some peanut butter(the cockroaches ate my crackers at night) and a few liters of bean-water with my ayudante, and a man from the community of Cerro Iglesias met us along the way.

The path itself was pretty easy, until we got close to the river, where it was so treacherous that I went very, very slowly. When I turned the corner, and saw the log that they were using to cross the river, I was really shocked.

It was just a thin piece of a tree trunk-a large tree trunk, and it was about 50 feet long. Someone had added some supports with sugar cane, but that was it. Below, were some of the fastest rapids I had seen, as well as alot of boulders and rocks. After the rapids was a huge pool, very deep, and this is where they often found people who had fallen and then drowned. If it were not a place of so much tragedy, I would have said it was one of the most beautiful natural wonders of the area.

We sat down to survey the scene, and watched silently as the people of Cerro Iglesias came down their side of the mountain to cross the bridge to the Cerro Limon side.

One woman walked across with a bay on her back and a small toddler. It was a frightening scene to watch. Once she crossed, she told us that she did not cross often, only when she had too. She said many people die in Cerro Iglesias because they cannot walk across to get to help when they are sick, to travel to the clinic or the hospital. Many mothers are afraid to let their children cross the river and so do not let them go to school. Small children must walk to school by themselves-as young as 5 years old-and often fall into the river, with no one around to help them.

I felt just terrible. Just hearing these stories-and seeing the makeshift bridge made me feel sick.

I asked to see the location of where they wanted a new bridge-and we walked over the hill to see it. It was perfect, with good level walking paths on either side. I could definitely picture a small suspension bridge here.

I decided in that moment, that this is a solvable problem, and that I can help come up with a reasonable solution-as well as the funding.

Medo, the organization I have been working with, is currently filing paperwork for official non profit status in Panama. This will make a tremendous difference in how-and how much-grant money Medo can recieve for projects. I´ve decided to make the bridge between Cerro Limon and Cerro Iglesias my pet project, and write grants, find the volunteers, and so on to make this project happen.

You might be asking, well, why don´t you just ask the government of Panama to built the bridge? It´s their country.

What you might not realize-and even if you think you realize it, you don´t really, until you actually experience it up close and personal-is that governments in other countries(and, in your own!) don´t always help all of their citizens in the best way possible. In fact, since the start of this trip, one thing I´ve noticed in myself is that I don´t really divide the world up into convienient catagories anymore-we call them countries, but it´s really just a way of categorizing people and places-so that I don´t have to be responsible for things not directly in my backyard.

I´ve come to see my responsibility as being so much more than helping my family of neighbors, working at a local food pantry, writing a letter to the editor of my local paper, or even voting for president. My responsibility is bigger.

I have the power, the resources, the capability, to help everyone that I come into contact with-and even people that I never will. I can do this in intangible, subtle ways in my daily life-and I can do it in enormous, change- a- community- in- a -day ways, like by raising the money to build a bridge in the middle of Panama so that kids can go to school and people have access to healthcare.

I went back to the finca with a spring in my step, and told the family that I thought the bridge project was something we could work on. It will take time-maybe even a year of two, but I thought it could be done. I met a church group here who had several engineers, and they were interested in a project in the mountains, so I thought they might be able to help with some of the project-possibly some fundraising as well. Everyone was excited and happy as well. They understand it may take time, but there´s some hopefulness in the air.

I realized that I´ve become a citizen of the world.

We ate some plantains, drank some cacao, and started the long walk home.

gigi



Tags:

205 responses to “Mountain Journey: Part Four: I Become A World Citizen”

  1. We are a group off volunteers and opening a new scheme in our
    community. Your site provided us with valuable info to
    work on. You have done a formidable task and our entire community will likely be grateful
    to you.

    Here is my web blog; color wheel picker

  2. Defne taksi says:

    Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace,
    when i read this arrticle i thought i could also create comment due tto this sensible piece of writing.

    Feel free to visit my website … Defne taksi

  3. yes no wheel says:

    It’s really a nice and helpful piefe of information. I am
    happy that you shared this helpful information with
    us. Please sta us informeed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Also visit my site yes no wheel

  4. This is the perfect website for aanybody who
    would like to find out about this topic.
    You know so much iits almost hard to argue with you (not that I reslly will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic which has been discussed
    for a long time. Excellent stuff, juust wonderful!

    my web blog: producator de energie electrica

  5. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I aam hopin too provide something back and aid others such as you helpeed me.

    Take a look at my web blog … işitme cihazları satıCısı

  6. If you desire to takie much from thjs article then you have to
    apply these strategies to your wwon website.

    Look into myy web site: rhinoplasty abroad

  7. It’s really a cool and helpful pece of information. I am happy that you shared
    this helpful information with us. Please sty us informed lime this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    my website – bypass ameliyatı sonrası ölüm riski

  8. yes Or no says:

    It’s amazing designed for me to have a web page, whch iis
    good for my knowledge. thanks admin

    Stop by my homepage yes Or no

  9. ielts kurs says:

    I’m really impressed together with your writing talents aas smartly as with the structure in your
    blog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self?

    Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing,
    it’s rare to look a nice weblog like this one these days..

    Also visit my web bog ielts kurs

  10. It’s very trouble-free to fiind out any topic on nett as compared to
    books, as I found this post at this web page.

    My web blog: orjinal pomerian

  11. Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you penning this article and also the
    rest of the site is extremely good.

    My page: masa ve sandalyeler

  12. I’m gone to tewll my little brother, that hee should also viisit this website on regular basis to get updxated from hottest reports.

    Also visit my webpage: spin the wheel custom

  13. An outstanding share! I have just forwaded this onto a co-workerwho hass been conducting a little homework on this.

    And he actually ordered mme dinner because
    I stumbled upon it for him… lol. So allow
    me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thahx for spending time
    to talk about this topic here on your web page.

    Feeel free to surf to my webpage – Пересадка волос до и после

  14. Defne taksi says:

    I visited several websites but the audio quality for audio songs current at
    this web page is genuinely excellent.

    Look at my site :: Defne taksi

  15. of course like your web site but you need to take a look at thhe spelling on several
    of your posts. Many of them are rife woth spelling problems annd I find it very
    bothersome to inform the reality on tthe other hand I’ll surely come back again.

    My web site; yavru maltipoo

  16. I’m gone to tell my little brother, thaqt he shouod also visit this webpage on regular basis to obyain updated from nwest reports.

    Also visit my hompage color wheel picker

  17. Very good bpog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that
    cover the same topics discussed in thiis article?
    I’d really like tto be a part of community
    where I can get advice from other experienced individuals that share the same interest.

    If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Cheers!

    my homepage Akıllı bagaj sistemleri

  18. It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this fantastic blog!
    I guess for nnow i’ll settle for book-marking and addding your RSS feed
    tto mmy Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    Here is my web site; Beste Haartransplantation in der Türkei

  19. I am truly pleased to glancce at this webpage posts which consists of plenty of useful
    facts, thuanks for providing these data.

    My blg post :: Best hair transplant in Istanbul

  20. When somkeone writss an article he/she maintains the plan of
    a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
    So that’s why thbis article is amazing. Thanks!

    Here is my web-site tabela modelleri

  21. Kutu Harf says:

    Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about
    this, like you wrote thee book in it or something. I think tht youu could
    do with a few pucs to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is
    excellent blog. A great read. I will certainly be
    back.

    my webpage: Kutu Harf

  22. Thanks in support oof sharing suych a fastidious
    idea, piece cost of hair transplant in Turkey writing
    is fastidious, thats why i have read it completely

  23. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out
    much. I hope to present something back and help others such as you aided me.

    my site :: Online Mobilya Satışı

  24. Hi! This post couldn’t be wrotten any better! Reading this post reminds me of my
    old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forwawrd
    this post to him. Pretty sure hee will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Review my homepage :: spor tesettür giyim

  25. To initiate your Canon printer setup, visit the official Canon website and navigate to the “IJ Start Canon” page. Follow the provided instructions for software download and installation. For any assistance, consult Canon’s official support resources.

  26. Kadın giyim says:

    What’s up to evrry body, it’s my fkrst pay a quick visit of this webpage; this blog carries awesome aand really excellent
    material in support of visitors.

    Feeel free to sjrf to my blkg … Kadın giyim

  27. Heya! I understand this is kind of off-topic however I had too ask.
    Does runniing a well-established webeite like yours requie a lot of work?
    I am brand new tto running a blog but I do write iin my journal on a daily basis.
    I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share
    my personal experience and viedws online. Please let me know if you have anyy recommendations or tips for
    brasnd new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

    Alsoo visit my homepage – Пересадка бороды в Турции

  28. A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do believe that you need to publish more about this issue, it may nott be a taboo matter but usually folks don’t talk about such subjects.To the next!
    Cheers!!

    my pagge spor tesettür giyim

  29. Great post! We are linking to this great article on our website.
    Keep up the good writing.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage – Kumbahçe butik otel

  30. I’m excited to uncover this web site. I want to to thank you for
    your time just for thius wonderfl read!! I definitely liked every little bit
    of it and i aso have you book-marked to see new things on your website.

    Feel free to surf to my page; Ankara Kadın Doğum

  31. Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one aand i was just curious iif you geet a lot of
    sppam remarks? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin orr anything you can advise?
    I get so much latelly it’s driving me mad so anyy support is very much appreciated.

    Take a look at my web page; safra kesesi taşı ameliyatı

  32. There’s definately a lot to find out about this subject.
    I really like all the points you made.

    Feel free to visit my site … deneme bonusu veren siteler

  33. I think this is among the most vital information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some
    general things, The website style is great, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

    Lookk at my website – random number generator wheel

  34. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for yoir weblog.

    You have some realy good articles and I believe
    I would be a good asset. If you ever want to tawke some of the load off,
    I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange forr a link ack to mine.
    Pleazse send me an e-mail if interested. Regards!

    Here is mmy blog pist … Üzüm çekirdeği ekstresi

  35. Hello! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone!
    Just wanted to say I love reaing through your blog annd
    look forward Dalaman Airport to Oludeniz all your posts!
    Keep uup the outstanding work!

  36. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my fachebook group?

    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Many thanks

    Also visit my web-site :: Trasplante Capilar FUE Zafiro en Turquía

  37. Can I simply say whwt a comfort to uncover an individual
    who genuiely understands what theyy are discussing on the net.
    You definitely realize how to bring an issue tto light and make itt important.
    A lot molre people shoukd look at this andd understand this side of your story.
    I can’t believe you are not more popular because you surely have the gift.

    Also visit my blog … en ucuz depo çadırı modelleri

  38. Hello would you mind letting me know whiich web host you’re
    working with? I’ve loasded your blog in 3 different web browsers andd I must say this blog loads a
    lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest price?

    Manyy thanks, I appreciate it!

    Alsoo visit my blog … Kalp damar tıkanıklığı belirtileri

  39. What’s up, I want to subscribe for this weblog to get newest
    updates, thus where can i do it please assist.

    Feel free to surf to my page; motorlu Tente fiyatları

  40. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading
    it, you hawppen to be a great author. I will mmake certain to bookmark your blog aand will come back down the road.
    I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice holiday weekend!

    Look into my web blog – web geliştirme

  41. Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and
    I was wanting to know your situation; many of us have developed sone nice methods and wee are looking to swap strategies with
    others, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

    My web-site; Beard transplant in Turkey

  42. Thanks for aany other informative web site.
    Where else may just I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal manner?
    I have a undertaking tthat I am simply now working on, and
    I have been on the look out for such info.

    my web blog トルコでのDhi植毛

  43. These Best Lower Blood Sugar Supplements can lower blood sugar with a natural diet can promote overall well-being and contribute to improved glycemic control.

  44. It’s very simple to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks, as I
    found this paragraph at this website.

    my page: トルコでのFue植毛

  45. I thinkk this is one of the most important information for me.

    And i’m glad readihg your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The site style is wonderful, thhe articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

    Alsoo visit my website: Antalya panel çIt

  46. These are actually enormous ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some nice factors here. Any wayy keep up
    wrinting.

    Feel free to suff too my blog post – oturma odası tablo

  47. Link exchange is nothing else excep it is simply placing tthe oter person’s weblog link on your page at suitable place and other persson will also do same for you.

    Feel free to visit my blog :: Self-care practices

  48. It’s actually a nikce and helpful piece of info.
    I am happy that youu shared this helpful info with us.
    Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a look at mmy page … Solo traveling experiences

  49. Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so
    I cane tto take a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and wiill
    be tweeting this to mmy followers! Terrific blog and outstanding
    design.

    Also visit my site … Diş Kanal Tedavisi

  50. Hey there just wanted too give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your content seem to be running off
    the screen iin Ie. I’m not sure if this is a formatting
    iszsue or something to do with internet broowser compatibility but I
    figursd I’d post to let you know. The design look gfeat though!
    Hope you get the probkem fixed soon. Kudos

    Feel ftee to surff too my site; Bağcılar evden eve nakliyat

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *