BootsnAll Travel Network



All New Top Ten List

This list is the ¨Top Ten Things I Have Grown To Love In The Comarca¨

In no particular order:

1.  Fried yucca. At first, I had an aversion to the stuff, but after you eat it day in and day out, you actually begin to find it has a lovely, delicate flavor.

2.  Fried bread. Something I never thought I would eat-and enjoy-is bread fried in oil. Now it´s part of my morning ritual.

3.  Hiracha. A stange, wild, green plant that has leaves that look like lime leaves and poisonous berries when ripe, I´ve become accustomed to walking up the mountain and harvesting the leaves of this plant every few days. Terrifically rich in iron they are a local curative for anemia(a traveler´s woe). Delicious cooked with wild lemons, I have fantasies about stealing  a plant and growing some in the USA. (But I won´t, of course.)

4. Killing scorpions. At first when I saw these creatures, I would scream and create a scene, but now I look forward to discovering them in the middle of the night with glee.  I actually like killing them, because then I know they will not end up in my bed or in the bathroom, lying in wait to sting me. And, I might add, I am not a violent person.

5.  Nahuas. The typical dress of the Ngobe women at first seemed very very bright and very voluminous-I think I described them as circus-like in  a past entry. Now, I appreciate them so much more, and there are many finely made ones that are quite beautiful. I even bought one off a woman who was wearing a very intricately designed one.

6. Cipro. A person who in her old life was anti-medicine, hating to even take a Tylenol for pain, I have made Cipro a permanent companion and friend. It had saved me twice on this trip, and I´m sure it will save me again.

7. Caladryl. Hating this pink, goopy stuff when I bought it-but now finding it´s antiítch properties worth more than I can say, it too now has a place of honor in my first aid kit. I couldn´t sleep without it, especially after hiking through the mountains and getting a few pesky bites on places I missed with my bug repellent..

8. Conch-playing. At first I found the sound of men playing conch shells somewhat eerie, but now I find it quite beautiful. I can´t seem to get the hang of it, though.

9. River bathing. I love, love love bathing in the river. I´ve stopped worrying myself about snakes and so on and am now enjoying it. i would, however, prefer to do it not fully clothed!

10. Sweat. Not being someone who particularly enjoyed getting sweaty, messy and dirty on long ardous hikes and so on in the past-and, who, frankly avoided exercise than required more than 15 minutes and made my eyeliner run, I´ve gone over to the other side. I´ve joined the ranks of those nutty people who actually enjoy exercise and getting sweaty in public.

gigi



Tags:

6 responses to “All New Top Ten List”

  1. Thanks to Goggle whenever certain words show up, it sends me a link to where the word was mentioned. In the last couple of weeks I have (pleasantly!) been given links to your blog by your mentioning (in passing) the Baha’i Faith. Keep them folks in mind – you will find them popping up in all of those remote corners of the world you plan to visit. For the most part they are pleasant folks, worth saying hello to.

    Hopefully you will be able to post your Panama photos soon – would like to match faces with your dialogue – even to go back and re-read some of it. Keep up the good words………..

    michael

  2. […] All New Top Ten List » TravelBlog Archive » true life planet […]

  3. Cindy (Davis, Ca) says:

    Hi Gigi,
    You are very brave and very adventurous……it is absolutely amazing reading about your trip. I can tell that your confidence increases every month!!!! When will you be in Winters? God Bless, Cindy (Davis, Ca)

  4. Jim P says:

    Excellent! Now, I’m not saying you have to leave a puddle of sweat in front of a cash register…but if you do, now you understand the underlying elation of the activity which brought on the sweat! Maybe you would like to hike Cold Canyon when you get back. Or have you already done that?
    -Jim

  5. The actual difference relating to the best suited expression and therefore the pretty much right statement might be more than merely takes a simple alright line! it’s just like the impact between an important turbo disturb and then the super!

  6. I drop a comment each time I appreciate a article on a site or I have something to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is caused by the sincerness displayed in the post I read. And on this post this blog name. I was moved enough to leave a leave a responsea response 😉 I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Is it just me or do some of these remarks appear like they are coming from brain dead individuals? 😛 And, if you are posting at other online sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Would you list the complete urls of all your shared pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *