BootsnAll Travel Network



Saint louis’ beach

So I have spent the last week at a hotel on the beach in saint Louis, Senegal. Though I would never ever swim in these waters!! I have walked along the beach here and everyday brings a new dead animal to the shores! I have now seen a dead dolphin, a dead sea turtle and today I came along a dead goat! This totally disgusts me but I think it is normal along with all the garbage along the shore. It’s really very sad, and even worse the closer to town you get. On my walk to town I saw children running out to use the beach as their bathroom, they were using it as their shower, to clean their goats and animals and saddest of all as their garbage. The grossest is that I even saw the severed hoofs of goats lying on shore! Basically saint Louis is in major need of some education and a beach cleanup!

I have decided the crabs are like ants/spiders/vultures of the beach! Their tunnels are like landmines on the beach and you know you’ve found one when you sink very far down which is almost every three steps! And they walk and run like spiders with their eight legs and prey on the dead fish and animals which wash up on shore! They are brave as well since last night when I was chasing one in the dark (there was the common nightly power outage) one came right up to me to try to attack me!!

All in all the beach here needs some work and thank goodness my hotel has a pool! But tomorrow I leave for saly which is south of dakar, which is super touristy and I’m told a cleaner beach! Hopefully I make it there easily!



Tags:

4 responses to “Saint louis’ beach”

  1. Lindsey says:

    wow… that’s all I can say… it reminds me of that time I found a dead beaver at park point!!

  2. dad says:

    Hi Summer, Love You!!! And to think we let our enviromental movement tell us we are dirty. Welcome to the third world. Not much to say except that i love you and miss you. Love , dad

  3. Summer says:

    Hehe…that’s just kind of a funny comment in itself!

  4. Summer says:

    Hi dad!! Well just because theirs is bad doesn’t mean ours is perfect but I know what you mean! And that is all I kept telling myself as I walked around is that this is definitely a third world country, though I wish they had third world prices then too!!

    Love you an miss you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *