BootsnAll Travel Network



Senegalese discos!

So last night the guys who work at my private hotel ( I say private because I’m the only one staying here so it is like 5 star service) invited me to go to the local disco. At first I said no as I am fighting an ear infection right now (don’t worry I have medicine). But since it was Saturday night and it may be my only chance I figured I may as suck it up and go for it! We left at midnight and no one was there. Apparently since this disco is out of the city a little ways it’s the one people go to when the ones in town close. So we played a little pool to pass the time and then when it got a little busier we headed into the disco part of the bar.
There are a few things different about Senegalese disco than american clubs or bars. The first and biggest thing I noticed was that the men were the first ones dancing and many times were the ones out dancing by themselves!! This you would almost never see in US. Also the disco is less about drinking like many places in the US, most of the people I saw had one soda if anything. This maybe has to do with the fact that they are better dancers and don’t need the liquid courage like many of us do! I think after watching the few white people with all the black people that generally white people can’t dance, myself included as I think I scared several people when I danced to a couple songs and looked more like fish flopping around out of water! Needless to say it was a really great time!

After the 5am bedtime my private tour of the town was over but I might try to get one out of these guys later this week! One of the big challenges with these guys is making sure their intentions are right as I’ve had to repeat several tines that I’m engaged (or at least that’s what they think!) but with a good sense of humor and the friendly reminders it’s all fine!



Tags:

2 responses to “Senegalese discos!”

  1. Lindsey says:

    Engaged?! 🙂 Congrats!! JK- I think we’ve used that line once or twice before when traveling…. miss you!!

    xo

  2. Summer says:

    Haha!! It is needed for sure here!! Miss you! Xoxo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *