BootsnAll Travel Network



Dakar…finally!

So I say Dakar finally because it took me two days of travel to get here! 10 hours on a bus, a 5 hour flight, a 4 hour layover and another 10 hour flight!!

The bus ride was not supposed to be that long but just as we were leaving Mombasa we came along a riot and there were about 4 different tires burning in the road! It was a little crazy and we have no idea why it happened but it took almost two hours for some police to come and break it up and drag the burning tires to some puddles! Also, the bus ride seemed more like 87 hours long because we had the delay an because it was so hot!! We paid a little more for the bus w aircon but we didn’t realize that would mean there would be no windows to open and that we would be sitting above the engine! The engine was at the back of the bus and it got so hot you couldn’t put your foot on the floor and it would blow super hot air out of the radiator! This made for a very long ride!

Also Chelsy and I asked which was closest to the airport as our bus made several stops and we got dropped on the side of the highway, which was fine until it was dark and there were only motorbike taxis! We finally found a taxi and definitely overpaid, but after some interesting times at the airport (the cabbie ordering Chelsy out of the car even though it was the incorrect gate) we said our sad goodbyes 🙁 and were on our way!

I had a four hour layover and 15 hours of flights but I finally made it to Dakar! Thank goodness I know a little French as noone seems to know any English! Haha! But it’s nice, I can smell the ocean from my room and this hostel is almost like a family stay which is cool! There is sand everywhere!!! You can tell I have come to the desert, even paved roads are mostly covered in sand! And I have crossed the equator into summer because the sun stays longer! I’ll be in Dakar tomorrow and then I will head to the ile de goree only 20 minute ferry ride from here before heading into the casamance or up north!



Tags:

4 responses to “Dakar…finally!”

  1. Mom says:

    Hey Love, Sorry I missed your call. long story but expect I won’t miss another. Well all this sounds like true travel adventures – all ups and downs and glad you did it in the end. I shall be excited to see your pix. love you.

  2. Lindsey says:

    YAY!! XO

  3. september says:

    If you live on teh equator, can you just cross over to the other side whenever you want to hang out in Winter? Is you French getting better? Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself…. sounds like a mixture of purgatory and beach! Glad to hear traveling worked out. Love you! September

  4. Summer says:

    I think you can but the winter is the same as summer!haha! And my French is a little better but that does not mean it is good!! Love you too and miss you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *