BootsnAll Travel Network



A week in Mombasa

It’s been an amazing week or little over having chelsy around! We spent a couple days in Nairobi going to a giraffe park- we fed them, even from our mouths! – and an elephant orphanage and just saying bye to everyone from my tour. We then made the 8 hour bus ride to Mombasa and thought we would stay at the hostel here. Our first night was so strange because there was only one other person staying there. And it was in the middle of nowhere. We hung out with the one other guests and some locals and it made for a strange night! So the next night we decided to move to a hotel, it was more expensive but nicer to be near other people and it’s right on the beach. We spent a couple days walking along the beach and swimming in the pool and we made another American friend zack who has been volunteering near Nairobi, so we’ve been hanging out with him a lot.
On Wednesday we left and went on a one night safari to tsavo east national park so that chelsy could see all the animals. It was cool and we were told we were lucky because we saw a lion and cheetah dragging it’s kill, as I guess it’s not real common to see cats in this park. It was nice but I would definitely recommend that others go to Serengeti or Masai Mara instead…. They just have more animals. But we stayed in a safari lodge which was very nice. We had a huge room and bathroom and were the only ones there. And during the day we could see elephants at a watering hole a little distance away right from our front porch!

Last night chelsy, zack, a worker named Felix, and I all headed to karaoke and a disco. The choice and small selection of music at karaoke was minimal and humorous but still entertaining and once we got to the disco we were dancing machines, and the only people on the dance floor. But none the less so fun! Today we will sit by the palm tree lined swimming pool and maybe try to go trade stuff for souvenirs on the beach. Tomorrow we head back to Nairobi for our night flights and I am off to Senegal while chelsy heads home. It will be tough to go back by myself and I’ll miss chelsy but I’m excited to see what northwestern Africa is like!



Tags:

3 responses to “A week in Mombasa”

  1. September says:

    Sounds like fun, if not a bit barren! Glad to hear that you are doing well! We miss you Summer!

  2. Lindsey says:

    Apparently Mombasa is not a hoppin’ place… but I’m sure the locals loved you guys! Miss you tons…

    xo

  3. Summer says:

    You know they did!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *