BootsnAll Travel Network



A Day of Remembrance at Pearl Harbor

It was a beautiful day to visit Pearl Harbor today, the sun was shining and the breeze was blowing off the ocean, probably much like the morning of December 7, 1941. Pearl Harbor is very interesting to go to, extremely sad and definitely a must see for a trip to Hawaii, but so sad and I am not sure I could do it more than once. The most heart wrenching stories were of the men who saved the soldiers trapped in the sunken battleships. I had a hard time getting through the videos of the men who served and survived to tell the stories. 

Going out to the USS Arizona was very emotional as well. I loved how they ran the whole thing, making it a place of silence. It is terrible to see the wall of  names of all the soldiers who went down with the Arizona. I think the whole place is great, very interesting and as they say something we should never forget and should learn from.  I got a couple of great quotes and think they are things we should all learn from. One is: “Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men died to win them” by FDR and also ” Dear Lord lest I continue my complacent way help me to remember somehow out there a man died for me today. As long as there be war I then must ask and answer Am I worth Dying for?” which is a poem Eleanor Roosevelt kept in her wallet during world war II.

I think these both put people in a reality check as does the whole memorial. Definitely something I suggest every person visiting Oahu does once, and I am happy I finally got to go!

So it’s a little strange thinking that tomorrow I am leaving the state I have kinda come to know as my home. But I am not that sad, the hard part is over – saying bye to all my friends on ship. I will head to Colorado tomorrow, and I hope eveyone makes it. There is going to be about 9 of us and one is stuck in Texas tonight, where the snow may hinder them, and another has gotten sick! So hopefully all works out fine and we will have a great weekend in Colorado!!



Tags:

2 responses to “A Day of Remembrance at Pearl Harbor”

  1. Lindsey says:

    very cool… If I ever make it back to HI, I am going to go there!

  2. Summer says:

    Definitely should!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *