BootsnAll Travel Network



San Carlos de Bariloche (reasons to hate Argentina, and another one bites the dust)

Just a note- In case you can’t tell, this is a love letter to Argentina.  Sorry it may not translate well, but that is our intention.  Please see our responses to comments at the end.

More stunning beauty. Big lake, big mountains.

So, I finally found something not to like about Argentina. First, the people here have a very sketchy idea of the connection between tobacco products and cells growing out of control in their lungs and other useful body parts. So, they smoke like crazy. It is like the U.S. used to be before, before, I don´t know what was the tipping point causing smokers to become pariahs, but not being one myself- I am all for it. Apologies to my smoking friends, but there are not a lot checkmarks to place in the positive column for smoking. I will try to think of something.

The second unpleasant aspect of Argentina has to be the music on the radio. In general, it is quite unlistenable, or at least I am not going to go out and buy the cd. I won´t even steal the cd off the internet- not that I would do that for something I like. I am excluding tango music, Piazzola, Manuel De Falla, and probably a few other good listens. No, I am talking about the Argentine version of el rock y roll. In general, it is warmed over Eye of the Tiger (think Rocky 2, or 3, or whatever). There you have it; things not to like about Argentina. Everything else is fab. The only downside is that it is more of a vacation than an adventure, but considering the lockdown my vacation life is facing pending new responsibilities with the Uncle, it is probably a great thing to relax now.

By the way, camera memory card number 2! has just bitten the dust so there will be a gap in our photo chronicles. We just lost about 300 photos. That means there was probably one good one in there somewhere.

That was Dan speaking at the start of this post. I (Giselle) have 2 things to add. One, most of the radio selections stink, but I do enjoy the unusually high number of early-80’s new wave songs they play. Last night we heard Thomas Dolby’s She Blinded Me with Science! Two, they put ham in the lasagna. What is up with that? Why ruin a perfectly good lasagna with pig products? But hey, at least there are other things on the menu that we can eat and that taste good. And the ice cream here rocks.



Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “San Carlos de Bariloche (reasons to hate Argentina, and another one bites the dust)”

  1. Mariano Says:

    I don’t agree with you. I think Argentina is a great place to visit. You must treasure more this amazing country.

  2. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  3. admin Says:

    Hi Mariano,
    Please read our other postings. We are absolutely in love with your amazing country. We have visited every corner from Iruya in the north, to the Cordillera, Perito Moreno, to Ushuaia in the south, Buenos Aires, and Iguazu. Me gusta Argentina. La gente son increiblemente amable, los sitios spectaculares, las comidas muy ricos, y todo! We will miss your fabulous country and hope to visit again soon.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Rob Says:

    I can add more than that. after living in this country 4 years i am more than ready to return to the states. typiclly they ruin good food with hard boiled eggs which they are enchanted with for some reason.most restaurants won t giveyou any butter unless you ask for it and some do not even have any!!!! people hear do not like breakfast or fried food for some reason.their electonic products are 50% more and about 20 % of the quality. you do have to be carefull which clothing stores you go to some of then are hyper-inflated as well. the satellite and cable channels are flooded with soccer and soccer talk shows.and the acting in alot of those tv programs leave something to be desired

  6. María Says:

    Judge a country for the music, for the food or for the tv programs is the most mediocre idea that I listened in my life! Argentina is a normal country, with good things and bad things like every country in this world. The tv is not good because the producers don´t have too much money. They make cheap tv programs. The argentine people don’t like our television.
    But here the real problem is not Argentina. The real problem is you. Who do you think you are? Superman? A superstar? Please, look at a mirror! What do you think? The world cry with you after the terrorist attack? No, baby! The world laugh with you! You don´t deceive anybody, because anybody loves you. Instead of write this stupid forum, write about your imperfect country.
    Argentina and Latin America have things that the powerful countries don´t have. We have spirit, we have soul, and we have hope.

  7. Posted from Argentina Argentina
  8. admin Says:

    Maria, Maria, I am not sure you understood this post. The point is that your country is so incredibly fabulous that we had to find something negative to say so people did not think we were getting money from The Argentine Bureau of Tourism. Unfortunately, the American sense of humor does not always translate so well. My friends have all become tired of us talking about how much we love Argentina and how kind and warm the people of Argentina were to us. Argentina was one of the best parts of our 35,000 km trip across the Americas. Please read all of the positive experiences we had in your country. We admire your spirit, soul, and hope- it is true.

    Now, I am very sorry to hear that you thought the death of more than 3,000 people was something the world laughed at. I am not sure if you would laugh at the death of people you love. You sound like an intelligent person, but I am curious if you laughed.

    If you want to discuss what you may perceive as weak points of U.S. foreign policy, our response to an unprecedented terrorist attack, or apparent inconsistencies in U.S. culture I am happy to explore them with you.

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Santiago Says:

    I know there are some things in argentina that aren’t as good as they should be, or at least as good as they are in the states. But each and every country has crappy music. You guys have rap and hip hop, which sucks big time. We have cumbia, that also sucks. We put ham on lasagna, but you guys eat fried food 24/7 and maybe that’s why most of the population in your country is fat.
    Anyway, argentina is an excellent country and so is USA. It’s useless to argue about this kind of things…

  11. Haffiez Michael Lithman Says:

    I lived in Argentina and proud to be part of it!

  12. Posted from Malaysia Malaysia
  13. barbara Says:

    Argentina is amazing!. is the best place to visit, and you have the most beautiful women in the world!

  14. Michael Says:

    Agree with maria! if you travel and think any country is lame because the t.v. or some restaurant you should stay in United states, with your tv dinner and murderers politics.
    see ya, good web.

  15. Ray Says:

    Hey guys,

    Calm down a bit, i’m argy-british and I could read the sarcasm in this post. He’s being charming not offensive.

  16. Charles Says:

    Hi, I am 14 years old. Please don’t hate Argentina, we must like all. “Los ermanos de Brazil”…

    Hello Charles, Please don’t worry about some of the comments about Argentina. Anybody who knows even a small bit of Argentina understands it is a wonderful country to visit. The original post was intended to be a parody. Unfortunately, some people did not understand that.

  17. NewsonBarret Says:

    Well, I just don´t like ice or cold weather so much, so Countries like Argentina is out of my menu…my favs are hot places around, and one of them is Brazil, it is really amazing. I´ve travelled entire world and seen a lot of people, so there are flavous for everyone. Each place has its enchantment, ones more, others less…Just travel around and discover for yourself your right point…we got to respect everyone and your choices. and a toit a le…

  18. Posted from Brazil Brazil
  19. Nico Says:

    But my dear the argentinian music is excellent
    Ilove your post biut if you say something like that about our music , you don’t have a good ear
    Look i listen Rolling Stones , The Beatles , U2 , Oasis, Supertramp , Pink Floyd , The Police , Queen , Eric Clapton , Aerosmith , The Who , Led Zeppelin , Scorpions , Ac/Dc , And a lot more
    And even i had listened all that groups i can say that argentinian music has the same level
    So please make me a favor , really , try to listen Charly Garcia , Andres Calamaro , Almendra , Virus , Babasonicos , Soda Stereo , Abuelos de la Nada , Miguel Matheos , Fito Paez , Bersuit Vergaravat , Fabulosos Cadillacs , Spinetta , Seru Giran , Sui Generis , Gustavo Cerati , Ivan Noble , Los Piojos ,Redonditos de Ricota , Los Pericos ,Memphis La Blusera , Enanitos Verdes , David Lebon
    And the when you listen all this musicians tell me your opinion But after You can’t have a logical opinnion
    See you !

  20. Agustina Says:

    Oh wow, people are really not interpreting the message here. I thought your post was funny and partly true. I am from Buenos Aires, I used to smoke and couldn’t quit until I left the country, and the reason why I didn’t before is because it’s so hard when EVERYONE smokes! It’s worrying.
    About music, I have to say I like our music, but not really the one you hear on most radio stations. If you like tango I would suggest you listen to Bajofondo Tango Club, they have a cool contemporary style. If you are willing to give popular argentine rock a second chance I suggest Soda Stereo and their lead singer Gustavo Cerati.

  21. Posted from United States United States
  22. superreggie Says:

    Read the post before commenting on it, idiots! He is *complimenting* Argentina, not insulting it. Idiots! And of course he’s right about “rock argentino’ , which sucks royally. Now don’t be sensitive, we know you have a big inferiority complex. I wonder why.

  23. Posted from United States United States
  24. Dave Says:

    exactly, the key word is “visit” Argentina is a great place to visit, not to live in. Politics are fucked and corrupt. Only good food you have is decent beef. NO VARIETY on anything else. I am argentine and lived in the states from 8-22 I have now been back in Argentina 3 years, the inflation is fucking insane, everything is super expensive and the country plain blows to live in. Nice to visit for sure though! wont fight with you on that.

  25. Nordic Says:

    Yes indeed, the iferiority compex is the word. I come from a country where everything is well and works like a swiss clock. Cant say the same from Argentina. It doesn’t feel fair because in my country the immigrants are treated well+social benefits are given instantly. Practically you can’t end up in the street, and here in Argentina as a student i’m treated like shit. Can’t really flag for this country. Just because i’m a rich European or something like this. I’ve learned this is the argentinian mentality towards “us”. The tourist just doesn’t stay long time enough to feel the real experience nor go to the real world level. You are just a tourist in your holiday. Try living here!