BootsnAll Travel Network



Meet the new boss, definitely not the same as the old boss

Be careful what you wish for.  Or, being someone who used to teach grammar to international students, perhaps I should say, ¨Be careful for what you wish.¨  Maybe you have heard me whine about certain aspects of being an ESL teacher.  (NB: such complaints were not leveled at  any entity, corporation, person (real or fictional, capable of retaining legal counsel).  Actually, I enjoyed my last work situation at Kaplan, but every few years I find it helps my career to completely change fields and start from scratch.  

It turns out that the government has determined that I am capable of ´being the face of the nation.  According to an email, which I am still skeptical is authentic, I am to begin training on May 1.  This works out well since Giselle has promised to be back at work then and I was starting to talk about extending our trip.   

 

I can´t believe I have to wear a tie. This will be the absolute worst part of the job for me. Dengue fever? Pish tosh.  Screaming lunatics looking for a convenient target? Foofey. Rabid visa applicants? Bring it on.  However, are you going to tell Madam Secretary that closed collars chafe your neck and cramp your wrinkled t-shirt style?



Tags:

8 Responses to “Meet the new boss, definitely not the same as the old boss”

  1. Damon Says:

    Foreign Service Officer = You will deny thousands of visas to poor foreigners who’re trying to pass fraudulant documents on you so they can get into the US.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    Cherish your Amurican passport my friend, for if you did not have it I would have to deny your application after looking at your blog. LOL

  4. dorothy Says:

    oh wow, that’s great — congratulations! (I take it you denied ever knowing me.)

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Damon Says:

    Yikes!

    I work with Consulates every day at my job and the most visa denials are from US Consulates in poor parts of the world. The way it works is that the newest FSOs are stationed in countries where the Consulates get a lot of fraudulent documents. It’s sort of a trial by fire. The Consular Officers end of being really cynical cuz they have to deny like 75% of everything that comes across their desk. Also, remember that the INA (Immigration & Nationality Act – the law) requires that as the Consular Officer, you must assume that every non-immigrant visa applicant has the intent to immigrate to the USA unless they can prove otherwise. Usually, the only way an FSO can tell that in a 2 minute visa interview is whether the person seems poor or not. So the rule becomes: Rich = issue the visa. Poor = DENIED.

    Let me know if I’m wrong.

    Cheers,
    Damon

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. Amy Says:

    My question would be, “How do I get stationed in Fiji?” Congratulations, Dan! Hey, could you wear a daffy duck tie or something? You can’t completely give in…

    Amy

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Tad Says:

    Dan,

    Given our current foreign policy, I can think of no one better suited to being the “face of America”. Congratulations to you!

    P.S. The e-mail WAS fake. I sent it.

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. jenel Says:

    Conga-rats you two!!! Giselle, It sure will be nice to have you back even if it’s only temporarily before you both head out to spread American Glory around the globe.

  13. Posted from United States United States
  14. Damon Says:

    Sorry, Dan. I’m now realizing that my last comment sounded really negative. I wish you luck and happiness with the new job. Serious.

    Anyhoo, here’s the text of section 214(b) of the INA. You will be thinking about it every day in your new job, so you might as well get used to it:

    “every alien … shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status …”

    It’s guilty until proven innocent. Find out more here.

  15. Posted from United States United States
  16. admin Says:

    Tad and Amy, Thanks guys. You have a place to stay in Fiji, at least Amy does. Jussst kidding. Thanks Tad, I appreciate the compliment and the joke.

    Dorothy, Thanks. They actually asked me if I knew anyone by your name, but I pulled the old ¨not to the best of my recollection¨line.

    Jenel, Thanks. Much glory on tap and ready to spread.