BootsnAll Travel Network



Well—-That was an experience!!!

Have put off posting the next installment for a while trying to find some redeeming factors about Amsterdam but that didn’t happen.

The European Rail System while fast & efficient was a major disappointment for developed countries in the way it treats it’s customers like cattle in ways that would not be tolerated in moving cattle! Actually on the same level as the Central American “Chicken Bus” but lacking the Latin charm.

By turning down the night train from Copenhagen to Amsterdam (can’t see anything at night) I was forced to use the local “chicken trains” with 6 changes to make the trip & of course no checked luggage so you have to carry everything with you. The first thing I learned was that a reserved seat only means you are given a car # to ride in & tickets are sold with no regard to number of seats (chicken bus) so maybe you get a seat or maybe not. Eventually arrived in Amsterdam 12 hours later much wiser to the ways of European rail.

All I can say about Amsterdam other than it has the most surly bunch of people working as tram drivers (must have been trained at Air Canada’s school of public relations) I have seen in a long time “TOURIST TRAP” & the best thing about the experience was boarding the bus for the ferry. Well to be completely honest the people watching at the sidewalk café’s was interesting but the outrageous prices weren’t.

Moving on to better experiences the DFDS Ferry to Newcastle was GREAT, the British train service to Birmingham was good but expensive & Birmingham is an unexpected delight. Off to the really BIG smoke (London) to pick up my Russian train tickets!!



Tags:

9 responses to “Well—-That was an experience!!!”

  1. macdon says:

    Hi Dave – interesting reading!!!! Please send my regards to the Queen….I definitely do agree with your cattle comments about Eurorail. I took the train recently from London to Paris and we were treated like that as well. The trains were definitely very fast but I also found the Via Rail trains alot more comfortable. The local trains in the U.K. were definitely pricey.

    Enjoy London!

  2. Dave says:

    Went to London today & picked up my Russian train tickets today & back safe & sound in Birmingham, think have had my London experience now & shall stick with ole Brum in the future LOL

  3. macdon says:

    Wow – that is surprising still to me. I do love London!!!!!!! Have been there twice and most recently in January and I still love it!!!!

    When do you leave for your next destination?

  4. Dave says:

    A couple blocks from Maryledon station there were some tour buses leaving so may do that next fall but other than that it’s just another too big city!

  5. Radster says:

    HA!!! Too bad I didn’t know you were in Amsterdam during that 1st week of September, because I was there for 5 days, we could have met up!!! I love the Dam, I have been there numerous times, lived there for a full summer once, and have family there, so its like a home away from home. Sure its pricey, but that is only at the tourist trap patios, bars and restaurants. Walk away from the beaten path and its not as bad. Did you visit anything in Amsterdam? Like the Anne Franke House, Van Gogh Museum, RijksMuseum etc? Did you do a canal boat ride? Did you smoke a joint in a coffee shop and go for a stroll in the Red Light? hehehe Oh, and the Dutch ladies riding around on bikes are pure eye candy, WOW!

    As for trains in Europe, I have to disagree. I prefer them over trains in North America. They are newer, cleaner, faster and you can take a train anywhere you want. Checked luggage should be left for airplanes.

    Oh, and your comment about the amber light before the green light in Denmark was funny. hehehe, its like that all over Europe 🙂

    Anyway, glad to hear you are having a good trip!

  6. Dave says:

    Yeah did a canal boat tour + a countryside one but at around 40 Euros for a hostel/hotel was a bit much as was the 5 Euro beer. That Dutch eye candy on bikes would as soon run over you as not.
    Guess it’s fine if you like it but for me there is a reason it ends in Dam & it’s not to keep the water out.

  7. Dave says:

    OH yeah & when traveling for a year even packing light after 6 train changes from Copenhagen to Amsterdam does NOT leave one with a good impression of the train system in Europe.

  8. Radster says:

    hahaha…very true, but if you stay off the bikepaths you won’t get run over. In either case, its fun when this Dutch eye candy yell profanities at you in their native tongue.

    5 Euro beers are expensive, but the trick, like I said, is to find the less flashy less touristy places, those sell beer for 2 to 3 Euros a pop. Or you can brown bag it, then you pay 2 Euro for a big can.

    Did you look into discount airlines at all? It is cheaper and faster than taking trains in smany cases, I am sure there are Copenhagen to Amsterdam flights for around $50-$75 one way. Search google for budget airlines in Europe, and give them a shot next time. Just be warned that they have strict baggage limits, often 15 or 20kg. Also, sometime busses are better too, maybe there was a direct Copenhagen to Amsterdam bus connection? The 6 train changes seems ridiculous, there has to be a better way other than that or driving.

  9. Dave says:

    There was an overnight train but I wanted to see the countryside in day light.