BootsnAll Travel Network



More time in Thailand

In my planning I overlooked the wet season in OZ so found that the 30 day tour I had planned wasn’t available until mid April which left me with over an extra month to kill in SE Asia. So when I came across an ad in the Pattaya tourist brochure for a four week TEFL course, I checked into it. The course is accredited by the government of Thailand & recognized in over 30 countries world wide & as I am planning on teaching English in Antigua anyway, it will be a bonus there even though it is not needed in Guatemala. It will also give me an opportunity of working in other countries where a certificate is required should I so desire. Having extra options is always a good thing! There is also the option obtaining a Diploma after another 16 weeks of Sunday classes + job placement in Thailand.

After weighing the pros & cons it looked like a good deal for the money, which wasn’t excessive + the fact that the next available course is in the beach resort area of Koh Samui didn’t hurt in making the decision. Will also be getting a bit of instruction in the Thai language which can only be a good thing.

So mother it only took me 45 years to take your advise & take teacher training recognized around the world, as the ones I have already taken are only good for adult Ed in QC & Truck & Bus driving in Ont.

Now to rearrange my itinerary, guess maybe the Malaysian peninsula & Borneo before the course then Bali & Indonesia after. That should put me in Australia at the right time.



Tags:

15 responses to “More time in Thailand”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    WOW!! Good for you!!! what a great idea! if you’re going to hang around there might as well do something constructive lol!!
    Mothers are always right Dave!! remember that 🙂 that’s what i tell my kids….i can’t wait to tell them you agree aswell! LOL

    day courses? have a great time! hey…you teach english and i’ll come teach yoga in Antigua 🙂 i can see it now lol

  2. Dave says:

    Just don’t be surprised if it takes Zachy 45 yrs to act on the advise LOL

  3. Pinamimi says:

    lol okay……if im still alive by then….he’s slowly tearing away at me lol!!

  4. Radek says:

    Hey Dave, I will be in Thailand (Phuket/Krabi) with my fiancée between April 19-29, and Bali between May 1-June 10.

    Looking at your recent post, it looks like our timing could work out well with yours, so that the possibility of us meeting looks high! We would both love to meet you for a few drinks and some good stories one evening… Us to we are planning on moving out of Canada in the future, as we just shudder at the thought of being public servants in Canada for the rest of our careers….

  5. Radek says:

    Pinamimi, did you convince Dave to do yoga yet? If not, he might be forced into it by my fiancé and I in Bali, which is renowned for yoga 🙂 He might find it even more effective than that chinese medicine….hehehe

  6. Pinamimi says:

    lol!!!! Radster I’d kill to see Dave do yoga!!!! LOL go for it….i love it 🙂 It would do him good lol…You’ll have to tell me how Bali is….i’m dying to do a yoga retreat and hopefully become a certified yoga instructor – Integral yoga 🙂

  7. Dave says:

    Hi Radek at this point in time my plans are to be in Perth around Apr 7 BUT have to check into the Diploma option when the TEFL Certificate course is finished so anything is possible. If there is a teaching position open until the end of the school year might just go for it.

    RTW ticket is good until Sept with flights open so all plans are subject to change.

    Would really enjoy meeting you & I don’t hate all civil servants but have been given the shaft by many but also helped by a couple so there are definitely some out there who take pride in doing a good job. As always the A$$holes make it bad for the good guys.

    Will keep in touch

    Dave
    ps think I will pass on the yogurt!

  8. Pinamimi says:

    lol….yogurt? oh come on….you’d love yoga…..we’ll get you into the downward facing dog position…will you get up after? one only knows….lol

  9. Dave says:

    Westerners just weren’t made to contort their limbs that way!!!

  10. Radek says:

    It will do you wonders to stretch muscles you haven’t stretched since your teens, and you have forgotten exist! Its one of those bucket list items when one goes to Bali, a yoga class/session, especially in the interior of the island, around the town of Ubud. No need for a retreat if you just want to give it a try, they have drop in classes open for everyone, no matter what age, sex or physical shape you are in. Heck, even here in Gatineau, the yoga class I go to every week has people aged from their teens to their 60s taking the class, and you do the poses in a way that you feel comfortable, its up to you. In my case, was quite stiff when I started out a few years ago, but by now I feel bit more flexible, still, I know my limits, and I do what feels good and is not painful. You feel like a million $$$ afterwards!

  11. Pinamimi says:

    Radek is right Dave..it would do you good…i love it and my teacher is in her 70’s! im so in awe of her….you would never believe it…. flexibility is king…
    I can’t imagine life without yoga…:)

  12. Dave says:

    As a victim of Ontario’s broken health uncare system with it’s quacks who got their degree out of a Cracker Jack box, things don’t work normally any more so it’s a NO-NO for me!!!

  13. Jan says:

    Usually I’m a lurker but love your idea of taking classes. So many people are going to different places to teach English .. a friend of ours went to China to teach and is now in a serious relationship too. Bonus! lol Such a great idea .. would love to do that, Harv and I when he retires .. don’t know where but we’ve talked about it … you can bet it will be a warm place! lol! Love your photos!!!

  14. Jan says:

    Oh and I remember the movie, The Killing Fields .. boy, something else .. must have been eerie to see what remains. The tree where the killed the children, wow how sad and emotional that would be :o(

    Also love the tree roots in the ancient temple … you got to see quit a bit!

  15. Dave says:

    Seeing all those skulls in the stupa at the Killing Fields sure gives one something to think about.

    An added bonus with the TEFL course is that piece of paper makes extended stays possible where otherwise you’re limited to 30 days + gives you a chance to integrate into the community a bit which wouldn’t be possible as a tourist.

    The jungle isn’t long in erasing the traces of man once he leaves!