BootsnAll Travel Network



The Manly Stampeed

The Manly ferry, while arguably the most gorgeous commutes in the world, seems very much like a cattle stampeed when loading.

Heather, from the official BootsnAll Australia Blog, is being awesome to host us at her place in Manly. You couldn’t ask for a better spot to crash in Sydney. We started off the day with a short walk on the Manly Scenic Walkway, which passes a rock pool and a great fountain. Not a shabby way to get things cracking in Sydney. Elizabeth and I tried to tackle the longer Manly walk later in the morning, but gave up without success. We had bigger fish to fry.

  • The Manly Ferry: People take this boat just for the views, with good reason. You get the vista of the city on the half hour trip.
  • Town Hall: Not a huge deal, but a nice building. It’s right next door to the train stop, so it’s worth a look
  • Hyde Park: Very pretty with a great fountain and location. We stopped and ate sandwiches like the locals.
  • 360 Bar: Just below the skywalk in the space needle (or whatever they call the building). You don’t have to pay to get in and you can have (pricey) cocktails. Beats paying to go one floor up. I enjoyed drinkng up “Amanda Huginkiss” very much.
  • St. Mary’s Cathedral: Sydney’s only cathedral. Stop in and be polite to the worshipers. No crazy dresscode like euro cathedrals.
  • New South Whales Art Museum: Something like that. Mostly colonial (rather than aboriginal) art.
  • Botanic Gardens: Beautiful green space in the middle of the city. We saw HORDES of flying foxes, which was cool. Excellent views of the skyline.
  • Opera House: Very pretty (and crowded) outside. The lobby is just plain ole’ concrete. I didn’t spring the $26 for the tour.
  • Circular Quay: The ferry port. We stopped for snacks and wine at one of the MANY cafes. Good end to the day.

That is actually a very do-able day trip. I hit all of the highlights so now I can have some real fun. That night we headed to the Crow’s Nest to some locals pub. We hit the hay early as we planned a REALLY early start the next day.

I’m sure Heath takes public transportation. It’s really a surprise we haven’t run in to each other yet.

– Carrie



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *