BootsnAll Travel Network



Emergency Beer Delivery

You’ve got to love a city that actually has Emergency Beer Delivery trucks. But for a city built by rum barons, I’m shocked at the lack of Captain Morgan. I’m very sorry for the Aussies that they don’t have this nectar of the gods. Not that it would matter much, as drinks are really expensive and really weak. My advice would be to stick to beer or wine.

This week is the annual Sydney Week here in the harbor city. We got up at 5:00 this morning to hunt for the Hot Air Balloon Symphony launch, which was part of the festivities. We drove bleary eyed across town to the Parramata district for the lift off. I got out of the car to scale the hill to find the balloons and there they were through the trees. It was a really amazing sight to see the ten or so balloons taking off and tuning up the music. The music was pumped out of each balloon by speaker. At one point, they played the Australian national anthem. We followd the balloons like a pack of early morning ambulance chasers to the Westies area, a nearby low income neighborhood. People were flocking out of their houses with huge grins on their faces like kids on Christmas morning. There were two elderly women standing outside in their pink bathrobes and slippers and a man carrying his son in his pajamas.

We tore ourselves away from the balloons to head to breakfast and the markets. In Balmain, a gorgeous historic neighborhood, we dined on Green Eggs and Ham. They really do exist and they’re quite good. Pesto makes them green, in case you’re wondering. We visited the small Balmain market and headed to the popular Paddington market. The Paddington market was huge with lots of artwork. Everything is pretty pricey, as it is every place in Oz.

We drove to the Bondi area to check out the beach action. It was really crowded so we bailed, but not before viewing the aboriginal engravings at the golf course and visiting the cemetary with a view.

Cricket. We stopped by to have some drinks and watch an ammature cricket game. Strange baseball-ish sport. I still don’t get it. It was fun watching all of the boys stand around in all white clothing.

Now I’m writing this about 75 steps from Manly beach. Rough life, huh? I’ve go so many different tan lines I look like a Picasso abstract, so I’m hoping for a “full on” beach day tomorrow. I’m in LOVE with that expression. It means “all in,” with out being poker-talk. I think I’m going to keep it.

– Carrie



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *