BootsnAll Travel Network



Leaving Broadwater

It’s really hard to put in to perspective going from sleeping in a hammock on a giant sand dune with a fire in the fireplace in the middle of a national park to an apartment in a city of four million, but that’s what we’ve done. Today we said goodbye to Greg and Mick and made our way to the Ballana airport with our new friends Sea and Jay. It broke my heart in to a million pieces to leave.

We made part of another fence with our stolen posts in the morning. Mick and Greg were gone for most of the day, so we didn’t have much direction. I took a walk to say goodbye to the beach. This is something I’ve done on every trip to the beach in every country. That probably doesn’t make sense, but I’m compelled to do it. I was still the only person for miles. It was funny that the boys knew I wanted to “have one last look” at the beach.

I never want to forget the sight of the hammock chair under the full moon with the palm tree in the foreground and the rainforest and the Pacific below. It really seemed to shock everyone that I’d sleep outside in the hammock. I thought it was a great idea, until it started raining at 4:00 am and I had to head inside. Better than listening to the roommate all night.

We were lucky to have airport pickup in Sydney, as Heather and Hugo met us at the airport. We went for Nepalese food in Surrey Hills, which is quite good but impossible to distinguish from Indian. To me, anyway. It is suprising how much asian food and influence there is here considering the small asian population. There are as many Thai restaurants in a block as liquor stores in Sherwood. If you don’t have any idea where Sherwood is, take it from me, that means a lot.

– Carrie



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *