BootsnAll Travel Network



Is this Heaven? No, it’s Tenterfield or Eating Like Queens in Queensland

GrapesWe’ve taken a day trip to the wine country of New South Whales and southern Queensland. The drive up was beautiful with rain forest and rolling hills. The roadkill was even very exotic and more interesting than the dead things at home. Lots and lots of rotting wallabies. We were able to visit 3 vineyards on our trip, with 3 very different experiences.

Currajong Downs: Our first stop was at this medium size boutique winery in Tenterfield for some gold medal winning Semillion. That’s the grape, not the Sensamillion, which is something quite different. Currajong has a cellar door (which isn’t really a door in to the basement wine cellar that I thought it would be) and a cafe. At this vineyard, we stood at the counter and told the girl which wine we wanted to taste. We then split a smoked trout salad with fresh cheese and sundried tomatoes. Yummy.

Crossing the BorderThe Doctor’s Nose: Our second stop at The Doctor’s Nose was a much different experience with an elaborate tasting. This was a second, smaller boutique winery in the tiny town of Tenterfield. We were seated and the owner brought out each wine. The wines were presented in a certain order to keep a dry wine from being tasted between two sweeter wines. Each wine was named after a different ancestor and the vineyard was named after the ridgeline near the property. After the tasting, we had one hell of a kangaroo chase with the owner.

WineBallandean Estates: Our final stop was in southern Queensland in Ballandean. This area has been under cultivation for many years and dozens of vineyards offer cellar doors. We chose the Ballandean Estates because they offer tours. This was a much larger commercial operation than the two previous vineyards. It had a counter with loads of customers, as well as a cafe. The family had been in the business in Ballandean for 4 generations. The ancestor came from Sicily, Italy, where he was a wine maker. I liked that the family was very open and even let us wander out to their vines to have a look. It was interesting to learn the processes and that there are something like 870 types of yeast that bring out certain flavors in wines. Hmmm. That’s part of the reason you can have 2 vineyards in 2 miles producing Shiraz grapes and get a completely different wine. Also, wine doesn’t have to cross-pollinate, so the vineyards don’t have to rotate stock or plant different types of crops. At Ballandean, we had salmon pasta with capers and cream fresh butter, which was great.

– Carrie



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *