BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m a Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey'sThat’s what my hand stamp says, anyway. We visited the famous Cheeky Monkeys in Byron Bay for some of their fabled cheap eats. I was pretty excited to visit this backpacker-loving bar and restaurant. But someone needs to send the girl at the front door to charm school. She’ll ask if you’re staying at one of the local backpacker hostels. Why? “Because we keep track of these things.” She then told us “We’re a backpackers bar, so backpackers get in for free and everyone else gets in free with a food purchase.” We were ordering food, so I’m not sure what the issue was. Let me tell you, for New Years in Byron Bay you take whatever accommodations you can get. And you’ll most likely have a 5 to 7 day minimum stay. No, we’re not at a backpackers hostel. We’re at a budget hotel.

Refugee IslandJust because you aren’t sleeping in a hostel doesn’t mean you aren’t a backpacker. Especially when you haven’t showered or changed clothes for DAYS.

Anyway, if you go to Cheeky Monkey’s, just give them some random hostel name. They don’t check anyway and it’s a B.S. rule.

The food was good and pretty cheap, but I didn’t want to hang out after the ordeal. I’m still on US time anyway.

Coolest sign in the Universe: “Refuge Island.” It was actually WAY cooler when I thought it said “Refugee Island.” Sounded like someplace Survivor would be filmed.

– Carrie



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *