BootsnAll Travel Network



From Russia with Love

Hi All
We have had a great time exploring St Petersburg and getting a bit of culture before heading for Siberia. Ann has a blister (unheard of!) from pounding the streets trying to keep up with Katie. We spent a long time in the Hermitage mainly looking at 19th and 20th century art before visiting the Winter Palace for a total contrast. We have also been to St Isaac’s Cathedral, the St Peter and Paul Fortress (very loud cannon at midday) and the Menshikov Palace. We had dinner at the Stroganoff Palace where the well known beef dish was invented and then caught the overnight train to Moscow. We travelled 3rd class in a a coach with about 40 bunks in it. One of our neighbours, of course, snorred, that is when his phone wasn’t playing “What shall we do with the drunken sailor”. One more time and I was going to offer a hint! We have already been to see St Basil’s and the Kremlin (just from the outside as everything seems to be closed on Tuesdays). Off to collect our Trans-Siberian tickets this afternoon. We get our train on Thursday night and then it is 4 days to Irkutsk so you won’t hear any more for a while.
Ann and Katie

Tags: ,



One Response to “From Russia with Love”

  1. ANDREW MACEILL Says:

    Daer ann and Katie
    Wow
    What a holiday and well done Katie with Ph. D
    The west coast of australia sounds great.
    Many thanks for all your kindness after my smash.Am now back at work.
    everyone is very pissed off – but that is precisely what the management want us to feel.
    Ullapool was great – especially the sea kayaking -off the summer isles- to get right under the cliffs with all the seabirds – saw otters and skuas
    Stac polladh is only a wee hill but shattered into the most amazing pinnacles- very haunted.
    An Teallach with andy nisbet was awesome -I thought of you as we gazed towards Ben Eighe in distance
    suilvan was a long walk in – but worth it -very little rain while Wimbledon was washed out!
    Trying to peresuade Iain to come back here again
    anyway give my love to Lake baikal -there is a very pretty village near the south end but it was a long walk to the boozer

    Andrew

Leave a Reply