BootsnAll Travel Network



Last stop, Isla Mujeres

From Valladolid I decided that I wanted to spend my last few days relaxing at the beach.  I got the bus to Cancun but decided not to stay and went straight to Isla Mujeres, about a 20 minute boat ride away. After finding a hostel and having lunch I spent the rest of the day exploring the northern end of the island, around the main town and beach.  The hostel itself even had its own private area of beach, but unfortunately it wasn’t safe for swimming.

the next day I met a few people in the morning and we decided to go on a snorkelling trip.  this was really good fun, we went out on a boat to 2 different snorkelling sites, where we saw loads of different types of fish and shellfish including barracuda, starfish and a huge sting ray.  After the snorkelling we were taken to a place where you could swim with a shark, but it seemed really cruel to the shark the way it was kept in a tiny tank and constantly handled, so I didn’t bother with that.  We also went to a turtle hatchery where we saw several different types of turtles, including hundreds of baby ones.  After that it was time for lunch.  We were given a huge BBQed fish to share between the 5 of us, very tasty.  Then we were taken back in to town and spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach until sunset.

Unfortunately the next day it was very windy, so we decided to hire bikes and cycle round the island.  despite the island being relatively small and flat, the wind made cycling difficult but it was a good way to get around and see the rest of the island.

For my last day the weather had improved a little bit so I managed to do all the typical holiday things, went to the beach, went for a swim in the sea, a bit of souvenir shopping, had an ice-cream and lay in a hammock.  I had met several other people who were flying home the next day so we went out for a nice meal to celebrate the end of our travels.

The next day I had to get up early to start my journey home.  A boat to Cancun, to buses to the airport, a flight to New York, a flight to Dublin, a 12 hour delay and finally a flight to Glasgow.  Altogether this took about 40 hours, so by the end of it I was very pleased to finally be home.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply