BootsnAll Travel Network



Tikal

I arrived in Flores late in the evening and went straight to a hostel where I spent the night.  The next day it was still raining but I decided to go to see the Mayan ruins at Tikal anyway.  Because of the bad weather and some political problems the normal sun rise tour was cancelled. And despite it raining on and off throughout the day I still really enjoyed it.  The site itself is huge, you could spend days walking around it, exploring all the buildings in the jungle.  I had time to visit all the major area.  THe temples themselves were very impressive, bigger than the ones I had seen in Copan, and being situated within the jungle made it more impressive.  In the rain it was very atmospheric.  For me the highlight was climbing 2 of the temples.  Although there are steps up them, they are very steep and in the rain very slippery, but the views from the top were worth it.  Looking over the jungle seeing the tops of the other temples through the trees, the rain clouds moving in from all sides and monkeys swinging in the trees was a unique experiance. 
 
The following day I changed my plans again.  I had planned to go to central Guatemala to Semuc Champey but I had heard the national park was closed because of flooding and the roads were flooded in places so I decided just to go straight back to Antigua.  THe bus was suppossed to take about 9 hours but because of flooding it actually took 25, so I arrived the following morning.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply