BootsnAll Travel Network



Rain, rain and more rain in Rio Dulce

I arrived in Rio Dulce in the evening, it was dark and raining hard, so I got a taxi straight to a hostel and stayed there all evening.  For the next 2 days and nights it  rained hard, continuously, and as the hostel was across the river from the main town (over the longest bridge in Central America) we couldn´t really go anywhere.  Being in a hostel built half over a river is probably not the best place to be during torrential rain and if it hadn´t stopped raining when it did, I think the cafe part of the hostel would have flooded.  But eventually the rain did ease a bit and I even managed to walk across the bridge in to town without getting soaked.
The following day the rain even stopped briefly, so we decided to go out for the day and took a bus out of the town, some way around Lago Isabel.  When we arrived it started raining and the bus driver usefully told us to walk in completely the opposite direction to where we wanted to go.  But we eventually realised our mistake and found our way to the river and waterfall where we wanted to go swimming.  The waterfall is fed by a hot spring and is still relatively warm.  Unfortunately you half to swim across the cold river to get there, but it was worth it, has to be the closest thing I have had to a hot shower for a long time.  We also climbed up to the top of the waterfall to sit in the warm river at the top.

The following day we decided to leave Rio Dulce and get the boat down the river to Livingstone, a town on the coast.  The boat ride itself was really nice, going through a beautiful gorge and stopping off to see a castle built by the Spanish to protect the area from the English.  We arrived before it started raining really hard again and we spent the night in La casa de la Iguana, a really nice hostel.

The following day it was raining a bit but we decided to go for a walk along the beaches to the 7 alters, another waterfall and a series of pools in the jungle.  It was apparently where the original Tarzan film was made and it was really easy to see why they used it as the setting.  We had a nice swim in some of the pools and had fun jumping off the waterfall.

The next day I spent travelling back to Rio Dulce and then up to Flores.

Tags: ,



Leave a Reply