BootsnAll Travel Network



Sept 15/16 – AK

Day 45/46 – We slept through a windy but dry night at Denali National Park and woke up early to start our trip up the dirt road and go as far as we can with the other lottery winners for today. The drive was smooth for a dirt road that is covered in snow for 2/3’s of the year and the animal sightings were abundant. Unfortunately, Jason and I only have our two eyes to use for looking at them, so a mama bear and her three cubs by the river – looked more like a fuzzy big brown oval and three little ones. Some people on this excursion were very serious with their super telephoto lens and climbing up on top of their camper cars to get pictures and viewings of the animals. It was exciting and I bet some really great pictures were taken.

The mountains started to clear up the closer we got to Wonder Lake and we snuck a mostly full view of it for a few moments before the clouds came back to cuddle around the top of Mt. McKinley again. It was a very beautiful ride of yellow leaves, colorful dirt and shrubbery – not to mention the snow covered mountains contrasting with brown ones in front. Thank you so much Sarah and Dan for giving us your ticket!!!

It took us about 8 hours of driving to complete the trip in and out – a long gorgeous day. We arrived at night to my friend Alison’s house in Anchorage.

Mt. McKinley

The cliff and road in Denali – I loved all the different colors of dirt and rock all throughout the park

There is a moose hidden in this hill…. Where’s Bullwinkle?

Making lunch at Wonder Lake



Tags:

One response to “Sept 15/16 – AK”

  1. Jacob I says:

    ANCHORAGE!!! Birth Place of Me!

  2. djbj says:

    stumbled across your blog by way of bootsnall somehow. interesting stuff. I’ll keep my eye on your travels. Planning on hitting africa?

  3. Alison says:

    It was great to see you again. Maybe next time we’ll try some actual Alaska-type activities, if it’s not pouring. 🙂 Hope you are safely back in Washington now (or at least have made it a big chunk of the way through Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.