BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan. 17 – Guatemala

Day 169 – Today Mario, one of the teachers, took us students on a trip to Salcaja, a town outside of Xela. Salcaja was the first town created by the Spaniards during the Conquest. This is also the main town where textiles are created and was the first town to start the textile process that was brought over from Europe. We toured two different areas of the town where we could see the first two phases in the process. Unfortunately, at the third and final phase no was home and we did not get to see it. The businesses are normally family based and operate out of their homes.


Phase 1 : they string out the thread on the grass and tie knots in the thread to prepare for the coloring process.


Phase 2: these are some textiles hanging up waiting to be colored. The dye process is a lot of work with hot liquids.


market in the town


the first church that the Spaniards built in Guatemala


Mario talking with Jason and our classmate about the history of Guatemala

Ana Maria, our host mom, is a great cook. We have been having all sorts of wonderful meals! A few examples are a traditional green salsa based soup with tortillas (normally with chicken) and a type of French toast that is served in a bowl with the bread sitting in sweet watery syrup. All the meals have been great and always served with bread, tortillas, and fruit or a vegetables.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.