BootsnAll Travel Network



Aug 10 – SC

Day Nine – We took the ferry, 2-1/4 hours long, from Ocracoke Island to Cedar Island and drove our way down to Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach was something else!. We went down US-17 South and found tons of interesting cultural events, it was marked on our atlas as a scenic route – it was scenic, but not in the way we would normally think. For one, I have never seen so many pancake & waffle houses in my life – at one point during the strip-mall of many breakfast houses there was an national house of pancakes, an Ihop, a national house of omelets & pancake, a waffle house, and one more (that I can’t remember the name of) all in one block. Than, there are the unforgettable Disneyland type miniature golf courses that could almost out number the amount of casinos in Las Vegas. They even had a few miniature golf courses in the sprawl next to the gas stations when leaving town, just in case you didn’t get a chance to play a few holes while you were at Myrtle Beach. And you can’t miss the ton of beach paraphernalia super stores and the 3 Hooter’s restaurants that lined the highway. All of this, and more, in just 19 mile strip. A perfect vacation scene.

We stopped that night at Buck Hall Campground in Francis Marion National Forest outside of Cape Rowain Wildlife Refuge. We planned on staying at the Myrtle Beach State Park, but their tents sites (which I was correct to being their over flow sites with no water and electricity hook ups – not tent sites) kind of spooked us out. Do you even walk into an area or place and look around and nothing feels quiet right or comfortable?? Yeah, that is what we were feeling when we drove through the campsite, and the ground was pretty wet which probably flood if it stormed, which was a 70% chance. When we went back to the office and told them we were going to move on, we found out someone got shot at the campgrounds the previous night. We’re glad to move on.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.