BootsnAll Travel Network



Review Chile: Pucon – Donde German Hostel (accommodation)

Name: Donde German Hostel

Location: Pucon, Chile

Address: Note: as of February 2008 the address is 590 Las Rosas.  The Brasil Street address given on their website is incorrect…though I think they’re moving back there eventually.

E-mail: none that I can find

Website: http://www.dondegerman.cl/ 

Review: Hostel Donde German is a really nice and super, super clean hostel on the outskirts of the village of Pucon in Chile.  There are double rooms as well as dorms available and both the kitchen and the communal living room areas are spacious and immaculate.  The place is run by a Chilean couple named Maria Elena and German and while I didn’t see German much Maria Elena is very helpful when she’s around.

The confusing thing about this place is that I believe it used to be on Brasil Street (in town) and is now on Las Rosas (a 10 minute or so walk out of town).  The problem is they never updated their website so lots of people go to the Brasil St. address where there’s a big sign redirecting you to Las Rosas.  It’s confusing and a little annoying but since the new place isn’t too far it’s not so bad.  It is at the very end of a residencial street so you often wonder if you are going to the right place.

As I mentioned, everything is really clean and the common area looks like a page out of the Pier 1 Imports catalog.  There are two computers with free Internet which is awesome for checking on stuff and not having to run back into town.  Some annoying things though are that the desk isn’t always staffed so you are never quite sure who you should go to with a question (usually Maria Elena but sometimes the cleaning staff as well).  Also…you’re only allowed to eat in the kitchen and outside which is sort of hard to remember but I guess is probably one of the reasons the place is so clean.  The outside grounds are beautiful and spacious as well with a few tables and a view of the mountains.

Maria Elena and German also run their own travel agency (can’t think of the name but one of the offices is at the hostel).  I didn’t do any of their tours (except they arranged transport to the thermal springs for us) but some others at the hostel did the climb to Volcano Villarica with them and said the service was good.  You can also rent bikes directly from the hostel for a reasonable price. 

Would I book with them again: Yes though I’d probably look for a place closer in town



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply