BootsnAll Travel Network



Indian Stores in US

There is not much that I feel like writing about today. I want to write about Venice Beach but I have to track down Madame Butterfly before I do that. For now, I am going to go to the Central Library, Downtown. I have to pick up some books and then go the Northern part of Downtown, where I discovered the blue collar live, dominated by Asian/Hispanic groups. Its quite an interesting change in landscape. While its nice and sunny this part of the town, the minute I am in the Northside of the town, the place somehow looks bleak. Maybe it has to do with all the train lines and the soot. And aging buildings. The city is not spending its money on projects out there. You would think the city wants to spend money here rather than in places that are already very beautiful !! Hmmmn, its interesting to see such dichotomy, like also Central Park area in New York. 

Anyhoo, I am here to visit the Indian Store and maybe grab an enchilada in the enchantingly bare Mexican Restaurant. This would be my second trip to this Indian Store as I have to return a movie. This is a good resource to locate stores:

http://www.thokalath.com/grocery/index.php

I have noticed one thing though, majority Indian stores that I have seen in US are almost uniformly, small ill designed stores with stuff assembled in ramshackle rows. Why can’t the stores be better, more inviting? Why all these low end stores !! As “Store Ambassadors” of India, I feel they are doing a very bad job. The last place I went to in Minneapolis, the parking was at the back, where I had to jostle with HUGE trash cans, the size of a truck, to park my car. The parking looked like a trash dump actually. The minute I stepped out of my car, my heel sank into loose gravel. Great, I stomped through the gravel like I had cleats on. Then, I had to enter through the rear door and step gingerly over cast iron cooking pans and kadhais (was I walking through their storage?) then jostle with a second door which wouldn’t open because the door knob was missing. After standing there for a minute or so getting frustrated, I saw through the murky peep window that somebody was leaving the store and …lo behold, the door finally opened for me to enter. The store carried the spices I wanted but didn’t carry chicken/fish/meat. That is rare – I know of store owners that are vegetarian but carry meat. Alright, I don’t think I will come back to the store again.  

However, I realize that the stuff that exasperates me about Indian stores in US is exactly what charms in about other Asian and Mexican stores !!! What does this mean? I feel a certain bonhomie with those stores – is it the attitude that makes me feel that I am within the true proletarian immigrants, who carry their way of life with them to newer lands? The minute I see a garlanded photos of a hindu bhagwan (god) in an Indian store, with incense and whatnots, I feel mildly irritated. Why all this? On the other hand, the minute I see a Buddha statue in an Asian store, with whatnots, I feel charmed. Why? To tell you the truth, I was charmed by the same pictures of Hindu gods in stores on Bali Island. (Bali is mostly Hindu, whereas rest of Indonesia is Islamic.) Why was I charmed there and irritated by my own countrymen? I am sure you have realized by now I am not a very religious person. I think though that this goes beyond that. Another interesting facet to this irrational reaction is that though I myself get slightly irritated by my own country men, the minute its somebody X from outside that’s thinking exactly on the same lines and is vocal enough to tell me, I am now irritated by X !!! My reaction to those would be “to each his own” !!     

Hmmmn, very interesting. I will have to think about this some more.

PS.  – I went to Patel chain grocery store today, and I love the variety they have. Also, they make fresh sweets !! Rasmalai !!! Jalebi !!! Fantastic!! Looks like Patel is the equivalent of Walmart in the Indian market here !

Also, the Mexican Restaurant was great, I had authentic pork Tamale – was steamed wrapped in corn husk and came wrapped in corn husk. I had to unwrap the steaming tamale to eat it. Incredible!! Tasted wonderful !!!

 

 



Tags: , , ,

One Response to “Indian Stores in US”

  1. Dinesh Says:

    I do agree the most of the Indian stoes are low end but if you go to places like Dallas, NJ and Bay Area you will find neat and clean and well maintained stores.

    I thnk I may know why low end Indian stores may irritate you. I am assuming you are of Indian origin and when you see such a low end store, you think this is somehow representing you (and your Indian origin)

    Hope you had a good trip to Venice Beach. I just moved to Dallas from Venice, CA.

    Take a look at this link. It has more stores that the link you mention in this post.

    http://www.indianfoodsguide.com/indian-food-guide/indian-grocery-stores/united-states/

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply