BootsnAll Travel Network



Hostelling International? More like Crap International!

I tried calling Hans (Swiss relative) right after my last post. Now, the Hans I was expecting supposedly speaks pretty good English. The guy on the other end definately didn’t. After a few attempts at explaining myself (in English, of course), he got very angry. I’m pretty sure he started yelling about me about his telephone service, thinking that I was with the phone company. Or maybe he was threatening to call the phone company. Either way, I’m not sure what they would do about it. “Sir, I’m sorry, we can’t stop people from speaking English to you on the phone. No, we don’t have computers that do that sort of thing.”

Speaking of computers, I had an idea for a digital camera today. It would have a GPS reciever in it, and would store GPS metadata with the images. Once you got home, you could see you pictures by spatial location, besides just the time you took them. Then, when after a long trip, you don’t look at a picture and say, “Was that St. Peter’s or St. Paul’s?”

I had my first Italian stereotype reinforced before I even got Italy. I was on an Italian high-speed train from Art-Goldou, Switz. headed for Milano. We only went one stop before the conductors ordered everyone off the train and onto a smaller, low-speed train. I managed to nab a seat, but gave it up. (As a rule of thumb, I give up my seat to men with gray hair and women who look old enough to be someone’s mom.) I ended up standing in the bicycle car (which is essentially a cattle car with hooks in the ceiling) with a dozen other people. It was actually a very cool experience because the big door was slid all the way open and I leaned on the bar and had a completely unobstructed view of the Alps for about 3 hours. Anyway, in meantime, I made friends with the woman who took my seat and the two kids who were with her (her son and his girlfriend). They’re from Malibu, and, as far as I can tell, typical Malibu people. They weren’t very experienced travellers, so I helped them get new tickets in Milano (because we all missed our connecting train). We’re going to be getting dinner in a little bit.

Some of you have emailed me with suggestions for things to do (besides the obvious) in Rome and Florence. Please, keep them coming. Florence seems to be in a state of controlled decay. It’s like it’s been rolling down a hill since some time in the Middle Ages, and instead of stopping it and pushing it back up the hill, the people have decided to sell tickets to watch it roll. And all the famous, historic churches are under construction.

Funny country.



Tags: , , ,

3 responses to “Hostelling International? More like Crap International!”

  1. sherwin says:

    was the mother a MILF?

  2. admin says:

    No, but the girl was a GILF, if that counts for anything.

  3. Surfer says:

    typical Malibu? What is that supposed to me? Did the guy call you a ‘brah’? I feel like my southern california peeps are getting discriminated against!

  4. admin says:

    Surfer, you’re far from typical Malibu. As we all know, you don’t actually surf.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *